How Would You Go About Creating a Full Movie on Your Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HappyDude20, Apr 19, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have a Flip Mino HD. When importing my videos from my Flip to iMovie, it (obviously) converts them to .mov files.

I wondering what's the best practice in terms of creating a full movie using my Mac. From the video itself, to music and more.

So far, what i've garnered is:

1. Import video files to iMovie
    2. Edit video itself, along with adjusting sound...
    3. Then exporting that iMovie created file either at full video quality, or simply for the Media sidebar in all Mac Apps...
    4. To take into Garageband, where I can create and add self-created music and videos...
    5. Then export that video file, which has the self created audio, from GarageBand (at full quality) and then share it to either iDisk, YouTube or DropBox...or DVD.

But considering this is a Mac, I believe what I just described sounds cumbersome and too complicated. I'm wondering if there is an easier way to approach all this.

Personally, upon hearing about Final Cut X, I got very excited, though thats months away and before committing to a $299 purchase, i'd love to get acquainted with the Mac Apps I already have..

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

In Final Cut Studio (so the latest release of final cut pro that is available) to do the sound you have to go to soundtrack pro, then to color correct it you have to go to "color". For the special effects you have to make them in motion and then import that into FCP. Then for exporting you use yet another program called compressor.

So it's pretty normal to use different kinds of software for one video.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Which iMovie are you using? You can easily add and edit audio/music tracks in iMovie6 and 11. Not so easy in iMovie8 and 9.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm using iMovie 11', though purchased my first Mac in 2006 and LOVED iMovie 06'. If there's any way to revert back to it I'd be down.

However, my concern is wanting to edit a movie all the way down from the acutual video itself, tweaking with the recorded audio from the video itself...and finally, able to add musical scores (self-created) to the timeline itself.

I feel iMovie 11' is a powerhouse, considering it's been a while since i've gotten myself knee deep into iMovie (iMovie 08' deterred me from video editing)

5. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

If you don't know how to use Final Cut X, I don't recommend starting your movie project until you've taken at least 6 months to a year to master the final cut pro editing suite because it's not iMovie, it's a professional industry standard editor.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Corrections to that: 1) Its currently called Final Cut Studio 3. and 2) Final Cut Pro X is coming soon, it hasnt been released, and wont be for a few months, however it would be relatively pointless to learn FCS3 now FCPX is coming. Learning Final Cut will probably take you 2-3 months, if you just want to cut together footage, and Id budget an extra 2-3 months per Program. (It took me 3 Months to learn Final Cut Pro 1/2 then 6 Months to move from FCP1/FCP2 -> FCS1 and then another month and a half to move from FCS1->FCS3, and I still don't know how to use Color that well).

7. Synthion macrumors regular

iMovie is a decent enough editor, but as far as the rest of iLife goes, they are very amateur-ish. Don't use iDVD if you don't want your DVD to look like a 6th grade project, Download Audacity (free) for audio combinations, touch-ups, and music editing, WAIT, even better, download the Adobe Audition Mac Public Beta, it is really good, I have it. Don't use iMovie to create titles, effects, etc. unless you have to, I don't know of many After Effects alternatives but I use AE for that stuff.

But if this is just a short little home movie then go ahead and use iLife, but as myself, I use CS5 so maybe I'm spoiled with quality.

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

GarageBand is perfectly capable, and not at all amateurish. Its just like Logic Express Express. Its also decent for basic audio editing for movies, although if you really care about sound go and pick up a used copy of Soundtrack Pro... (I used Final Cut Pro 5/Final Cut Express 4/iMovie '06 HD with DVD Studio Pro 2 and Soundtrack Pro 1 for years.. all played nicely, only reason Ive upgraded is a shiny new Mac was too much of a temptation, and I dont have the Crossgrade FCP5 disks).

9. Synthion, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

Synthion macrumors regular

Yeah, but I, and many others, find it restricting. I prefer just using something like Audition or Soundbooth or even Audacity.

But it is all relative to the person I guess.

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Let me tell you my situation;

I'm currently living in China, having been here for almost 2 months. I have another 3 weeks to go and since i've left home in California, all family members are urging me to send them videos.

I've filmed over 15 hours worth of video, ranging from eating at random street food vendors, to trips to the Great Wall. Rather than upload individual 10 minute segments on YouTube, i'd love to upload one long film featuring all the good stuff i've filmed throughout my trip....

I've been fiddling around with both iMovie & GarageBand for the past 2 hours and think i'll approach this by editing my video first, then exporting it into the media browser so I can add music to the film in GarageBand, then export the audio from GarageBand into the original iMovie file, within iMovie.

My only concern now is what site I can let family back home view the site?

Preferably i'd love for family back home to not have to download the film itself....something YouTube is great at, though they'd only allow 10 minute clips.

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, you can do all that in iMovie11. I still used iMovie6 untill iMovie11 came along.

You might want to look at Vimeo for hosting your video. I think they allow longer movies than YouTube.

12. Synthion macrumors regular

Yeah, Vimeo is the way to go. I think their limit is like 3 hours.

Also, you could distribute DVDs!

13. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

I haven't used iMovie '11 but can't it export straight to YouTUBE? I vaguely remember that . . .

As for steps 3&4 it depends on what you are trying to do audio-wise. If you just want to add a soundtrack it may be worth doing that in Garageband and then adding it to the iMovie project.

14. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Oh I find it restrictive as well, but Im a professional video/audio dude(I personally like Logic Pro and Reason for my projects, but both are overkill for anyone using iMovie), not a consumer throwing together video for family. Seems pointless to learn Audition. And Audacity doesn't get close to GarageBand for working with iMovie.

15. Synthion macrumors regular

That's what I'm saying! Well, except for Audacity, I think that's awesome.

(coming from another "professional video/audio dude")

16. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Vimeo or Megavideo both have much longer upload times but they also allow much larger files and certainly longer ones. If you have a youtube account long enough and upload things regularly then they will remove for 15 minute cap but I think there is still some cap on it.

As far as editing, iMovie seems fine for what you want to do, same with Garaband. I would say your best bet is to edit everything in iMovie first and watch it as you create your score in garageband. Then save your garageband MP3 and bring it into iMovie. Then export from there and upload where ever you want.

Good Luck :D

17. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Thank you so much. This is a big project for me to tackle, and am beginning to do so with a few video clips a day, considering I now have over 60GB's worth of video shot throughout this trip in China.