How would you go about getting a new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Feb 18, 2017.

1. tl01 macrumors 68000

I want to switch to Verizon from att. Need to replace my 7plus with a Verizon model. I bought my phone with the AUP. Since the phone will be unlocked since Verizon phones are unlocked...would you purchase again through Apple or go through Verizon?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd wait a little while till Apple figures out how to make this less stressful for their customers that like to switch carriers.
    And have a device that works on all us networks.

3. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

This is why I ALWAYS buy a Verizon iPhone, even if I'm not a Verizon customer. You never know if and when you'll ever decide to switch networks. Having a phone that is compatible with all networks is the best and safest bet.

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Last time it was the ATT phones (6s/6s plus) had all the bands. I don't know why Apple switches these things up. And your comment doesn't really me out at this point. Lol. I followed what apple did last time.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2017 ---
    I am going to switch this week. I am not planning to wait until the next phone is released.

5. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I have the same problem. I had no idea when signing up for the IUP that the phones truly are not compatible with the major carriers. Frankly I'm not happy. The process right now to make the switch sounds messy. I want to switch but not totally sure how I'm going to do it. Apple screwed up on this one.

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This is funny because when I hopped on the Apple Upgrade Program the rep made it seem like it would be seamless to come in and switch phones if I ended up switching carriers. I'm glad I didn't but it's frustrating to see. It seems like Apple either assumed that 99% of people wouldn't be switching. Now that all the carriers have gone no contract, I'd assume switching to be far more common.

Definitely discourages me from switching.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple has a lot of issues to work out with the Upgrade program. I know it's a newer process, but there are to many unanswered problems with switching carriers. I don't use the upgrade program, but those who do seem not to be content with the end result.

8. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yea I've been happy with it until now. Definitely not super happy at the moment as I (and may others) are stuck.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And that's part of the problem you just mentioned. Customers are locked in with no options, which isn't good when you want options.

And Citziens is a another problem at times, as they are not very customer orientated as they should be.

Apple defintely can make some improvements with the upgrade program.

10. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Or they should stick with one iPhone with support for CDMA, GSM and all LTE bands. The already were close.
    Dual sourcing modems to squeeze out suppliers even a little bit more is just unnecessary and inconvenient for customers.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don't disagree. Even though I believe CDMA is being slowly phased out.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope they make the process easier for you.
    I don't think it will take 7 months to figure it out till the next iPhone is released.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Why not buy it without a carrier?

14. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I usually just save up a little money at a time and buy it full price from T Mobile or Apple. On T Mobile I just use it for 40 days and they always unlock it for me so I can better sell it when it is time to upgrade. Of course when I buy it sim free from Apple it is already unlocked. I don't like to finance things when possible.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Million dollar question.

Never buy through the carrier. Buy factory unlocked.

16. swingandamiss macrumors member

swingandamiss

Can you get a better deal through the carrier? I know that's often the case over here in the UK.

17. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Would be nice to just buy the SIM free ones but not really wanting to drop nearly 2k on phones each time. (Husband and my phone). The market for selling them is also not nearly as good as it once was. The payment plans are what work for most people :)

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

We almost never get meaningful discounts here. It's always a subsidy or something like that where you wind up paying a boatload.

19. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

In the uk you are better off getting a sim only contract with your provider and then buying the phone for Apple direct.

It costs a more upfront but you get much better value in the long term.

Saying that I thought about buying one from Apple direct and paying for it in instalments, never done it yet though.

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Or buy through Verizon as it's the exact same thing. As long as you don't buy from an authorized retailer, which tend to mark up phones bought outright by $100-200.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Correct, but my advice is to always get unlocked. It seems like every couple of years there's some red tape or something.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Over here with Tmobile I traded in my old iphone 6 and got the iphone 7 for free with bill credits with a 24 month agreement.
    You do seem to get better deals sometimes getting it via a carrier and that's the reason Im stuck with a locked device for now until I can request an unlock.

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I always thought that's what I was doing by using Apples Upgrade plan (got it in the Apple Store). It didn't use my Verizon upgrade.

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

I avoid Verizon stores like the plague.

24. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Hence the problem now. Apple advertised the phones on the IUP program were unlocked and can be used by any carrier. Definitely not the case. They'll fix the problem but it involves cancelling loan, applying for new loan and then waiting for refund of old loan. Not to mention the credit checks that will required. :/

25. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yeah, definitely don't buy carrier locked phones if possible.