How would you have fixed the iPhonapocalypse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dsr1205, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

For instance, if you could go back in time (in a DeLorean) , would you notify apple and at&t that their servers were gonna asplode, and more importantly, would they have believed you?!

2. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

to be completely honest, i just wanted to start a thread about time travel and back to the future, maybe talk apple in there too lol.

3. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

well if time travel were possible im pretty sure server crashes wouldnt be an issue ;)

4. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

unless there are time-police, that police the time line, like on that show "time cop" or something. It was so bad but so good at the same time. Thoes damn time cops caused the server crash.

edit: not a show, film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timecop

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

AT&T wouldn't believe you as they thought they were ready.

6. mb2008 macrumors regular

I posted this in another thread, but Apple needs to outsource this pre-order mess to Amazon, they know how to get this done, plus they already sell ATT phones.

7. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

well this may or may not be true considering 2 things: 13 million hits on AT&T check eligibility page? thats nuts. and 600,000 orders? i mean this might be retail history? im not sure but iv never heard of a phone selling 600,000 units in a day before

8. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

9. CarloVonSexron macrumors member

AT&T might actually go along with that. Saves them the headache.

10. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I remember when the Motorola Razor sold like hotcakes

11. mb2008 macrumors regular

I seem to remember that during the Christmas season, Amazon has had days with over 6 million items ordered, and also days with over 6 million items shipped.

So yeah, Amazon can get 'er done.

12. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

I think its AT&T that should have outsourced. The problems, at least the ones I had, seems to come during the eligibility check which is AT&Ts problem.

13. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

There is a lot more to what happened than just placing an order. Accounts need to be verified, agreements made, etc. Then what that is all said and done it is the same thing that amazon does.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

One of two things:

Either having the foresight to start making the phones sooner and just stockpiling the hell out of them so everyone that wanted one could get one from the first day.

OR

Having people upgrade on a sliding scale kind of thing. Based on when you got the phone you have now. That should have made the number a little more manageable. Not sure how to handle new customers in that scenario though, so that option isn't ideal. Best thing would have been to start sooner. (Or push the release date back for everyone).