How Would YOU Improve Playstation UX?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by helenedwards, Mar 2, 2017.

1. helenedwards macrumors newbie

i’ve never really rated sony for their User eXperience, be it on consoles, tvs or mobile phones. generally the hardware's good, but using it is not always a great experience. with that in mind i’m curious to hear people's suggestions on how to improve the ps4's user experience. for example -

scenario: trying to play a new game but don’t have room on the hard drive to install it. this is something the ps4 currently handles poorly, as described below.

Bad UX:

inform the user there's not enough space to install the game but leave them guessing how much space exactly they're required to delete.
    [​IMG]

No Caption Provided
    after they delete some installed games don’t restart the installation when they return to the home dash screen and click on the game's square. instead just do nothing. don't give them clues or on screen prompts about what to do, leave them with no other option other than to restart the ps4 to kick the installation process off again.

Good UX:

prompt the user that they need to delete x amount of gb to install the game. suggest "you haven’t played games x, y and z for a while, would you like to delete them?" show an amount of space needed to free up in the ui so the user can see how much they have left to delete. once the required amount has been freed up, inform the user and ask if they want to continue the installation or, at the least, allow the user to return to the game square on the dashboard and click to continue installing.

solved!

removing games from storage to make room for new ones as above is an all round easier and more frictionless experience. a big improvement on how it currently handles that scenario.

any more? whether it’s online, in the store or somewhere in the dashboard, what frustrates you about using your ps4 and how would you fix it?

2. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Currently, the main thing that comes to mind is sorting my games on both the PS4 and PS3. With the PS4 we can create folders and add games to them, but I have found that you are only able to assign a single folder per game. For example I have a folder for Lego games and a folder for disc-based games. With Lego Dimensions, I had to choose which one I wanted it to be stored under.

A nice simple solution to this would be to allow a user to set multiple flags to be on a game or application so that you could create as many folders as you wanted. For example, splitting things up by genre, or time investment required.

On the PS3, I don't think there are custom folders at all, so I have my handful of PS1/PSX games, 2 PS2 games, and all 50+ PS3 games lumped together. Even if a game can only be located in one place, I would love to split up my PS3 games to separate demos, indie titles, and AAA games.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like the PS4 interface, but not as much as the PS3. I think all that needed was a better game organising tool. It was elegant. I could really go into this, but not without a real keyboard! Back later. Xxx.

4. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I hope in update 5.0 there's a big UI overhaul. I bet they will do something big in that update.