how would you improve the iphone os?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pleasurejunky, Sep 12, 2009.

1. pleasurejunky macrumors newbie

Update after update I find myself frustrated that certain things are never addressed and all these frivolous features are added instead.

Since Apple doesn't have a suggestion box, perhaps we can keep track of them here and hope that someone there reads it?

My biggest peeve - rotating screen!! Or rather, not being able to disable it. Even since 3.0, my SMS and Mail and Safari rotate on my randomly and make lying down reading almost impossible. I have to keep it jailbroken JUST so I can have control over such things.

Also, have you ever tried to copy a link without clicking on it lol? Exhausting! Doable and all, but you have to be like a ninja with that drag selection.

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Frivulous features being what exactly? Copy and paste? exchange support? compass? and overall more functionality in the OS?

I would like some changes to the OS, but quite frankly its good enough at the mo that i cant think of them lol :D

PTP

3. Ward macrumors newbie

Ward

Piloting a miniature submarine in your brain.
    I would like Apple to implement a limited user visible file system which each and every application can access.

As it stands now, each application implements its own method of displaying the files created by user and it has to provide its own facility to transfer these files to and fro other machines. ie. wifi transfer, FTP, HTTP, email.

But with a shared file system, each application no longer has to reinvent the wheel - they simply save their user created files to the central file system, like in a typical desktop machine. As a bonus, files created by one app are visible to all other apps. You'll be able to email files, save attachments and edit them with your favourite program.

One application can implement the common 'wifi drive' function which presents the central file system over wifi so apps no longer have to do this themselves. Imagine how much time and effort this will save in app development: devs can get on with the business of making their app, rather than having to implement what's a crude workaround at best.

There are security concerns; but if all functions go through the OS which popups up a notification (like the location services), it could be done.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

push down and hold on a link, don't click, and a box will pop up allowing you to copy :)

6. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

iPhone X & iPhone OS 4.0

Hey all,

Before anyone goes ballistic about me being too early to start the speculation and wishlists for the 4th Gen iPhone, i would like to say that this was originally a software wishlist only, but thought about a few hardware specs and just put them in to see if from now until june 2010, my reqs will change a bit...

So, here's what I would love to see in the 4th gen iphone:

Hardware:
    - 64 GB Capacity
    - 2x Processor
    - 2x RAM
    - 2x VGA
    - 5 Mpixel Cam w/ Flash & Zoom
    - 3 Mpixel Front-Facing Cam w/ iChat
    - Built-In FM Radio w/ Live-Pause & Song-Tagging
    - Built-In FM Radio Car Transmitter
    - Built-In Pedometer
    - Full HD Support
    - Stronger Cellular Connection: HSPA+
    - Stronger WiFi: 802.11n
    - Two Stronger Speakers
    - Even Better Battery
    - Revamped Exterior

And here's a list of all the software improvements that i would also love to see from now until iPhone OS 4.0

Software:
    - Native iPhone 2 iPhone Chat (à la BB)
    - More Movie Editing Options (cut, copy & paste clips from one movie to another to another, and in the same one)
    - Better home screen/app organization
    - Better Support for Codecs and Addons
    - Integrated File Sharing Support via Bluetooth w/ other cellphones *
    - Integrated Download Manager
    - True Background Apps
    - Compass Integration w Google Street View (à la G1)
    - Lock/Unlock Landscape Mode
    - Landscape mode for week view in Calendar
    - Single Inbox containig all Inboxes
    - Ability to delete Songs & Pics directly from iPhone (we can already delete contacts, events, movies, apps, etc)
    - Options to sort Notes alphabetically or by Date Created & NOT by Date Modified
    - Option to save original Voice Memos when trimming
    - 'Answer' Button in Calculator (it saves the last answer u had)
    - Ability to assign Tags on Pictures, Movies & Notes
    - File Browser w/ folders and smart folders, and integrated w/ Cut, Copy & Paste, Rename, etc (à la Finder)
    - Integrated iWork Apps
    - Ability to access MobileMe from within the iPhone

Of course some of them are too far-fetched and some of them are imminent to happen, but some are very welcome updates that would make the iPhone a One-In-All device even better than it is now! And who knows, Apple might add all of those with some rennovation from their part! ;)

Posted from my iPhone

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

• You will probably see a 64GB phone.
    • The processer, ram, and screen may stay the same.
    • You may see a better camera but you won't see 2 separate cameras.
    • FM radio would be great but I bet we see it on the Touch first.
    • Built in FM transmitter? I think never. FCC crap hooplah and what not.
    • Pedometer would come to the Touch I'd guess before anything else. Again I think they need to keep the line separate.
    • Full HD support? Yeah right!
    • Stronger connection? Call AT&T.
    • Two stronger speakers? No way. This is not a boom box and how else can they charge us out the ass for external speakers?
    • Better battery? Perhaps. It is time, that's for sure.
    • Revamped exterior? I am starting to think not.

• iPhone to iPhone chat? That's not a bad idea.
    • Movie editing options? I am unsure this is going to happen but it sounds ok.
    • Better support for addons? Never. This is Apple we're talking about.
    • File sharing? Umm maybe. I like the idea.
    • Download manager? For what exactly? I never got this.
    • Background Apps? Not without a better battery.
    • Compassion Integration ... Google? Not today at least.
    • Lock/Unlock landscape mode, YES this is all I really think I cared about!
    • Single inbox? Please God no.
    • Ability to delete songs, yes. Pics ... you can do already.
    • I like the note sorting option. I think that area has gone ignored a little.
    • Voice memos, saving, yeah ok.
    • Answer button to save the last answer? I've never cared so I guess I may be alone there.
    • Tag pictures would be nice.
    • Finder replication in the iPhone OS, that is a good idea.
    • iWork Apps? I am unsure we'll see this for "free" if at all.
    • MM from the iPhone, you'd think this would have happened day one. Somehow Apple doesn't care that we can't get to their own site from their own device.

8. mackncheese macrumors member

App Store

one thing i would LOVE to see would be coverflow in the app store it shows the icons and the name underneath it and when you double tap it flips over and gives you a description and screen shots and the ability to buy the app

9. bluequaTTro macrumors newbie

folders

i would like to have folders to organize my apps. its kinda a pain to keep swiping between only my 5 pages of apps. i'm sure some of you are at the max.

10. kenkamm macrumors regular

I just want the ability to customize a bit more. Custom icons, etc.

Also, they need to make better use of the home screen, like intelliscreen for j/b users.

I jailbreak for those things alone.

11. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Same here. I would quit jailbreaking if I could have these two things.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I seriously hate that...or when you switch tabs and go back it auto refreshes so you loose what ever you were typing and have to scroll all the way backdown.....

13. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I wouldn't mind being able to turn on/off wifi, 3G, bluetooth etc from the menu bar. Also would like more(any) customizable information on the lock screen. A built in weather app that actually gives you the current temp in the badge wouldn't hurt either.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Background tasks.
    A limited user-visible file system for saving documents, attachments, etc.
    Customization.

I think if I could get those three things I might not even jailbreak.

15. pleasurejunky thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems ike almost all the OS suggestions can already be done through jailbreaking. I wish Apple would put some serious thought into why people jailbreak because it isn't just about unlocking.

SBSettings (Cydia) is amazing for controlling settings from main screen (ie. toggle 3g, wifi, bluetooth, screen rotation). Just a menu that slies down from top of screen.

MWPULSE, frivolous to me? All the iTunes Store improvements and things like "shake to shuffle" which would be cool if it didn't change songs every step you took.

UngratefulNinja, you're right except when it's a tracking number or anything numeric. It assumes it's a phone number and offers to call or make an address book enrty :(

maflynn, thanks!

How is everyone finding 3.1? Any real difference?

16. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Same here! I can't stand the landscape rotation! I'm NEVER in landscape mode for anything!! (Well, other than picture taking).
    All of these other suggestions sound really lovely and would be more than welcome -- but if Apple ONLY gave us this, I would be quite satisfied with my iPhone.

Actually, not entirely. You can delete pics you've taken WITH the iPhone, but not pics you imported into the iPhone through iTunes. This would be veeeerrrryy useful!

Isn't this what the Apple MobileMe iDisk app does?? It's an App Store app so that only MobileMe customers can opt to download, while non-MM users don't have to bother with it (Although I suppose they could have done the same thing they did with the Nike app, and made it a hidden app already on the phone that you can make visible).

17. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I want iPhone to automatically switch to my land line whenever I am at home.

18. boldfire macrumors member

I want a function to switch between apps (with multi-app support). It would work like cmd-tab with a red notification circle if theres something happening in the app just like the home page. It would be activated by holding the home button town or tapping three times, or something like that.

[​IMG]

The current app is in the center and larger (like a 2D cover flow) and as the user wipes their fingers they can browse the various open apps, once they are happy with their choice to switch they tap the icon and it slides along with an animation like spaces on OS X.

[​IMG]

If they want to close an app they simply swipe it up from the list, like the Pre.

19. nohanderguy macrumors newbie

"Delete all E-mails" feature. I had 1200 unread messages once ( Have'nt used mail for 4-5 years ) and i deleted them all with clicking -.-

20. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Nice mock up :D I'd love to have that on my phone.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

There are some really great ideas here. I don't see a single one I disagree with. Some things I would like are:

1: Timer to play music for a set time period and then it turns off
    2: Number tracks in playlist
    3: Adjustment for gapless playback
    4: Remove silence at the beginning and end of each track
    5: Crossfading effect
    6: Control of turning off delay with a choice of time
    7: An alarm clock function
    8: Volume control for system notifications should be independent of the volume for the music (meaing if I have the ringer on high the ipod volume should remain at what ever level I last set it)
    9: Equalizer
    10:Ability to turn off coverflow

22. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Have a battery that doesn't change drastically each firmware. I noticed a change the first day I used 3.1. Just 20 minutes of playing Real Racing with air plane mode it drained it about 20%.

23. jkb macrumors regular

jkb

• hi jessica. iPhone to iPhone chat is an awesome idea. gosh, if only somebody would do something like this. oh wait, we just did:) see my signature for itunes link:)))

24. jkb macrumors regular

jkb

hi.. you want to look at our app: http://itunes.com/app/whatsapp

it is not native, but it is iPhone 2 iPhone chat very much à-la BBM

just get your friends on it and off you go...

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

1, os to not sit in and take up the phones storage so an 8 gb is 8gb not closer to seven.

2, complete os rewrite so it dosnt need the processors full power to run so the lag goes.

3, SMS to not lag on launch

4, multitasking options.

5, dual cameras.

6, FireWire 800

7, latest wifi and hsdpa chipsets.

8, interchangable battery.