How would you invest 6,000?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wvuwhat, Sep 9, 2009.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

So, I went up to Atlantic City this weekend and turned 300 into 6,000. I'm unemployed so I set a low limit (much lower than usual) and I don't know how I did it, but ended up walking away with 8,000. I'm willing to throw 6,000 into something with a good return. 2,000 should hold me over for at least 6 months, even if I don't land a job. Bills are paid and I'm saving money living with the parents for a little while.

I've got an eTrade account that I cashed in at the right time when I got out of school and lost my job, but still have a little money in there and can't decide if I want to get back into the market in September, not only because of the economy, but the traditional Fall/Winter downturn.

So, I'm thinking... Open up a new PNC Bank account with long term savings, remaining pretty liquid.

Gambling with some stocks, because of the fact that this 6,000 dollars was won gambling and it has the potential to return a decent amount with the right research. Which, in all honesty, I've got plenty of time to research...

Or, playing it safe with a CD or online interest bearing checking.

Basically, if you had 6,000 dollars with no bills, no nothing coming up and your expenses for the next 6 months paid for, what would you do?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

First of all, what is ur secret for turning 300 into 6000 at AC?:D

3. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

The secret is to...

Play poker when you're sober and play blackjack when you're not. I'm going to follow that every time I'm up there.

I played a "midnight madness" poker tournament and was on the table until 9 the following morning. I was chip leader with 8 players behind me. We chopped the pot and I got 2x what everyone else received. Let's just say it was big enough to not have to worry about going to the blackjack table and losing money.

However, I didn't lose money at the blackjack table and kept on winning. I felt like I couldn't lose. I'd have 16, hit, and end up with 20-21. Dealer would always end up at 17. It was all luck, but I'll take it at this point.

I do however wish I hadn't gone to kill time on the slot machines, it was a bad idea. I'd have come back with more money had I not even touched one.