Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I sold my original ipad and had just about enough cash to buy the note 10.1. I much prefer it, it's far quicker, the speakers are louder and clearer in my opinion and the pen is awesome.
Other smaller details include being able to upgrade the storage memory, and benefit from the more open nature of android

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I sold my original ipad and had just about enough cash to buy the note 10.1. I much prefer it, it's far quicker, the speakers are louder and clearer in my opinion and the pen is awesome.
Other smaller details include being able to upgrade the storage memory, and benefit from the more open nature of android

Can you add in SD card in the tablet or is that just for the phone? just thinking about adding movies and TV shows and how much space they would take up?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
really? wasnt aware you could add in an SD card for tablets.

Yeah it says so on their website. My Nexus 7 can't unfortunately.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note_10.1/specifications.html?type=find

Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.27.34.png

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Any particular reason why you're considering the Note 10.1 instead of the Nexus 10? I don't know much about either so I'm not saying one is better than the other.

I would like to know too, I feel the Nexus 10 is much better than the Note 10.1.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Because it runs stock android and has a much better screen resolution, it's also cheaper.

But the big thing for me would be space and with an SD card I could fill it with movies and shows. While still using the s pen which would be useful.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I have an iPad 4 and a Nexus 10.

I'll be the first to admit I have a long time bias towards Apple since I've used their top of the line PowerBook / MacBook Pro models for years. Yet that said I'm a technologist that enjoys all platforms for their various strengths.

There's a significant enough difference between iOS & Android that only day to day usage reveals. Both are excellent in their own ways. Due to the nature of various handset makers & the respective carriers, Nexus is the only way to enjoy the best Android has to offer.

I rate the iPad 4 - 9.5

The Note 10.1 - 7

The Nexus 10 - 9

All are quite nice & as you can tell, I just use & enjoy them.

I don't obsess over the much agonized aluminum vs plastic argument. All three have excellent structural characteristics.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
If the Galaxy Note 10.1 had a 1080p screen then it would be the best tablet available because of the extras Samsung has added.(IMHO).

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I would think that the s-pen would be the differentiating factor. On my Note (phone), the s-pen is awesome.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
But the big thing for me would be space and with an SD card I could fill it with movies and shows. While still using the s pen which would be useful.

How many movies and shows do you need on your device at the same time whilst away from your home network? Don't forget if you're at home you would most probably be streaming the media from a network share and so storage on the device isnt an issue.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
How many movies and shows do you need on your device at the same time whilst away from your home network? Don't forget if you're at home you would most probably be streaming the media from a network share and so storage on the device isnt an issue.

A fair amount as I plan to watch more things at my gfs house and when on nights at work on my break I plan to watch some shows. Just be great to take away with me too. but i'm tempted to get the new 8 inch tablet instead now..

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
A fair amount as I plan to watch more things at my gfs house and when on nights at work on my break I plan to watch some shows. Just be great to take away with me too. but i'm tempted to get the new 8 inch tablet instead now..

Having your content as portable as your device is an obvious advantage as you can enjoy it without the need for WIFI or 3g and you have possessed what you have bought rather than just access to it which could be removed.

Don't be tempted to get a tablet smaller than 10 inches for that makes using the Web and viewing media less enjoyable.

A good sized high resolution phone like the Nexus 4 is great for web browsing and viewing media for short periods of time whilst travelling, but a good 10-inch tablet is best for viewing when not travelling (imho).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Having your content as portable as your device is an obvious advantage as you can enjoy it without the need for WIFI or 3g and you have possessed what you have bought rather than just access to it which could be removed.

Don't be tempted to get a tablet smaller than 10 inches for that makes using the Web and viewing media less enjoyable.

A good sized high resolution phone like the Nexus 4 is great for web browsing and viewing media for short periods of time whilst travelling, but a good 10-inch tablet is best for viewing when not travelling (imho).

Well I still have an ipad 2 so would use that still so I think getting an 8 inch tablet where I can put shows and films on it is my best bet. Something that is small enough to take away with me I reckon. So think I will wait till samsung announce their ipad mini counter tablet.

I don't expect 8 inches will be too small to watch shows and films on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.