Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you rate iOS 12 so far? (As used on main device, latest beta)

• The best iOS ever

Votes: 58 29.9%
  • Better than iOS 10 or 11

Votes: 88 45.4%
  • About the same as iOS 10 or 11

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • Worse than iOS 10 or 11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The worst iOS ever

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I'm not running iOS 12 on my main device, but I wanted to vote

Votes: 25 12.9%

• Total voters

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Disappointed by screen time, which doesn’t feel quite finished and very complicated to use.

I feel that way about most of their software decisions these days. It just isn’t as intuitive and easy to use like it once was under the Forstall days. Apple Music for example is a mess, the Podcasts app is even more of a mess. It’s all just poorly thought out to me and looks messy and unrefined. I find myself questioning their UI decisions and end up getting frustrated which I rarely did with iOS 1-6.

Last edited:

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Latest beta releases are so far good and stable. No issue with it. Only most stupid thing is gap between bottom and first row keyboard. This is only iPhone X.
c83405b681639e5c7bb435e57bc6c131.png
Wasn't this always there? Is it even bigger now?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Wasn't this always there? Is it even bigger now?

I still don't undertand why this space is still there. Yes, it's been there since iOS 11.

That space can used to put the SPACE BAR there. And were the space bar is currently can be used to put puncations (., ?, !) and frequent symbols (#, @).

It's almost too easy.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I feel that way about most of their software decisions these days. It just isn’t as intuitive and easy to use like it once was under the Forstall days. Apple Music for example is a mess, the Podcasts app is even more of a mess. It’s all just poorly thought out to me and looks messy and unrefined. I find myself questioning their UI decisions and end up getting frustrated which I rarely did with iOS 1-6.

Let's hope that the next version sees a visual redesign - I'd like them to tone down the bright saturated colours - and a real look at reducing the complexity of iOS and its apps, as you say.

Reactions: Feyl

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Aside from the performance improvements, feels very underwhelming when it comes to features. Now I know Apple said they wouldn’t be introducing many new features, but damn this seems bare. And the features they hyped up won’t be available at launch (ie Group FaceTime). Seems like this could have been 11.5.
This could be 2 yrs in a row that iOS has underwhelmed..... well, on iPhone. 11.0 was primarily geared for iPad improvements....

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
That space can used to put the SPACE BAR there.

Right on top of the app switcher? No thanks! I'd be switching apps when I mean to hit space. Or exiting out. I can totally see why it's not sitting on the bottom. Looks weird for sure. But I don't think the alternative would be a good solution. Also, I'd think typing that far down would be odd. We're not used to typing at the bottom of the screen (don't forget the giant bezel on non X phones).

[doublepost=1535583760][/doublepost]
Seems like this could have been 11.5.

1. Just because you don't see a lot of changes does NOT mean there aren't a lot of changes. It's just code you can't see. For all we know, there may be tons of changes. There most likely is.

2. There are no naming rules. 12.0 is just as valid as 11.5 which is just as valid as 1227.543.75423. The numbers are basically meaningless.

3. It's a new year, we get the major number bumped. Just like every other year when a new iOS is introduced.

Honestly, I don't understand these "it should be 11.5" arguments. If next year has a more changes than a typical year, would you be arguing that it should be called iOS 14? No, because Apple doesn't use major version numbers as an indicator of how big the update is. It would just be "feature loaded".

Last edited:

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Right on top of the app switcher? No thanks! I'd be switching apps when I mean to hit space. Or exiting out. I can totally see why it's not sitting on the bottom. Looks weird for sure. But I don't think the alternative would be a good solution. Also, I'd think typing that far down would be odd. We're not used to typing at the bottom of the screen (don't forget the giant bezel on non X phones).

[doublepost=1535583760][/doublepost]

1. Just because you don't see a lot of changes does NOT mean there aren't a lot of changes. It's just code you can't see. For all we know, there may be tons of changes. There most likely is.

2. There are no naming rules. 12.0 is just as valid as 11.5 which is just as valid as 1227.543.75423. The numbers are basically meaningless.

3. It's a new year, we get the major number bumped. Just like every other year when a new iOS is introduced.

Honestly, I don't understand these "it should be 11.5" arguments. If next year has a more changes than a typical year, would you be arguing that it should be called iOS 14? No, because Apple doesn't use major version numbers as an indicator of how big the update is. It would just be "feature loaded".

For me it just feels weird as macOS gets just a new point version each year whilst the iOS variants get a whole version number bump.

Who knows, now that it’s been confirmed that max is using marzipan next year maybe we’ll be using MacOS 11.0!

But yeah, they’re just numbers. It doesn’t matter too much really!

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
For me I like the invisible trackpad feature. Should provide consistency between all iOS devices that run it. I move between 4 different iOS devices and hate having to use different methods to do the same function. Editing text is an important function for me, so I am very happy with this. Better late than never ( this feature was available via third party apps years ago).

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
For me it just feels weird as macOS gets just a new point version each year whilst the iOS variants get a whole version number bump.

That does feel odd. I've never understood the reasoning behind that. Must be a holdover from the past. But I guess it just proves the point that the numbers are really meaningless. They mean whatever you want them to mean. For iOS, that means getting a new major version number each year. For MacOS, that means getting a new minor version number each year. As long as the "new thing" has a higher number than the "old thing", all is well. In my own work, I've even done things like going from 1.4.6 -> 4.0.1.

Reactions: bluecoast

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
That does feel odd. I've never understood the reasoning behind that. Must be a holdover from the past. But I guess it just proves the point that the numbers are really meaningless. They mean whatever you want them to mean. For iOS, that means getting a new major version number each year. For MacOS, that means getting a new minor version number each year. As long as the "new thing" has a higher number than the "old thing", all is well. In my own work, I've even done things like going from 1.4.6 -> 4.0.1.

I’d like Apple to just stand up and talk about ‘what’s new this year for iOS/macos’ and not mention the version number. It’s only there for marketing (when talked about at WWDC).

Last edited:
Reactions: MEJHarrison

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
It got real choppy around betas 2-6 but since then it has been steadily improving. The current beta, number 11 I believe, is VERY smooth on my iX. We’re approaching the GM candidate and this looks to be a very smooth release on Apple’s part. Not a ton of outward changes, but if you aren’t running the beta, you will be pleased of the under-the-hood improvements when you get your hands on it next month.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I’d call it 11.5 also but with a few enhancements, like how Notifications behave and are grouped and managed, which I don’t totally like.

The scraping of any change to desktop home screen keeps it old and tired.

Reactions: GIZBUG

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Let's hope that the next version sees a visual redesign - I'd like them to tone down the bright saturated colours - and a real look at reducing the complexity of iOS and its apps, as you say.
Apps are getting more complicated not less. That’s the trend. Apps like Instagram and Snapchat have gotten very complex for example. That’s just the way it is now. It’s essentially “gamifying” the interface so you constantly discover stuff. Keeping you hooked. At least that’s the plan

Reactions: g-7

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Apps are getting more complicated not less. That’s the trend. Apps like Instagram and Snapchat have gotten very complex for example. That’s just the way it is now. It’s essentially “gamifying” the interface so you constantly discover stuff. Keeping you hooked. At least that’s the plan

However I wish they would stop gamifying Settings ....

Reactions: Darrensk8

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The "best iOS ever" is too subjective, IMO. But I've used all the major releases of iOS betas and from best of my recollection, it is the most stable iOS beta. Even the first iOS beta was pretty stable.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is the first iOS release in a LONG time that feels like what an x.0 release should be, and it's still in beta!

Past releases used to have issues with jittery animations and performance that would not get resolved until x.1 or x.2. iOS 10 especially had a weird stuttering problem on the iPhone 7 Plus that drove me nuts, and that wasn't fully fixed until 10.2!

I really hope Apple's new commitment to QC and performance continues. I'm excited about this beta and release and it had been a while since I wasn't cursing Apple one way or another over performance problems.

I'll take an annoying, easily fixed update dialog any day compared to what we dealt with in the past! :)

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017

Absolutely, I hear you! It does seem though that this year, tech has taken a public image pummelling, so I wonder if apple will continue to get ahead and help people with their addictions.

I’d hope that screentime in the initial use of iOS 12 is very much a v.1. Let’s see.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I’m running the Public Beta on my iPad Pro 12.9” and for my daily use it’s very stable. The feature I like and use most often is the ability to “long press” on the space bar and then use the keyboard as a track pad. It would have been nice to have this long ago. It would have saved a lot of time and frustration. I’ve used this in a number of apps and I’ve not found any that it doesn’t work with.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Absolutely, I hear you! It does seem though that this year, tech has taken a public image pummelling, so I wonder if apple will continue to get ahead and help people with their addictions.

I’d hope that screentime in the initial use of iOS 12 is very much a v.1. Let’s see.
All that falls into the same category as suing cigarette makers or alcohol makers. What Apple is doing is nice but many will disable all that. There’s a reason it’s called an addiction , YOU DONT WANNA STOP! like cigarettes gambling and alcohol, it’s personal responsibility.

No doubt there’s a dark secret area of Apple HQ (like every company in tech or gaming) where they figure out how to make their product addictive.

Apple implementing a screen time tool is the modern day equivalent of a surgeon general warning on a pack of smokes. Most disregard it. It’s called covering your butt.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluecoast

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I’m not sure if it would be a good thing. They can mess it up even more than it is today, especially when Jony is the head of the design again.

Reactions: Superhappytree

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
iOS 12 in its later iterations has solved completely the Bluetooth connectivity problems with my car.

I can also now use Pandora over iPod connection high quality or Bluetooth without having to fiddle with both the car's interface and the iPhone.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.