How would you rate the Mac App Store so far?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Patrick946, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Patrick946 macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2009
    I have an iPhone 4 and an older Macbook, and I was trying to decide between getting an iPad and trading in my Macbook for a Macbook Air. I decided on the MBA because it has a full keyboard, and because Lion is supposedly bringing iOS style improvements to OSX.

So how does the Mac App Store compare to the App Store for iOS? Am I going to be missing out on a lot of iPad specific apps, or will the iPhone and MBA cover most things? Also, overall is it just a different way to sell the same software, or are there a lot of unique apps for it?
  2. roadbloc macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    Its okay I guess. I find it's just filled with indie developers apps or Asypr's game porting efforts.
  3. DustinT macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2011
    At this point there's not a lot to see. It does work well but there's such a strong distribution model already in place that the App store will have to seriously earn developers business.

I'd say its a bit of a work in progress strictly because of that. I have used it several times and it does work well but its certainly not a must have feature at this point.
  4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Jan 30, 2008
    Washington DC
    I agree the Mac App Store is a nice to have right now, though I can see soon it will become a major selling platform for developers.

But, there's a lot of red tape with the Mac App Store that restricts developers in many ways.
  5. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    So far its been pretty good. To be honest, at this point in my Mac usage. I'm not buying a lot of software. I own just about all that I need.
  6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

Jul 7, 2009
    I've found a few things there that I wouldn't have found otherwise. I like the way it keeps me up-to-date; and it is the FIRST place I look when looking for software.

But it is not the only place; it's just too small right now. But it is growing and I expect it to do quite well in the long run. I know that if/when I get my software done, it's going to be on there.
  7. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I rate it highly. It simplifies the process a lot for me. I love a secure store with an easy payment method. The only thing I dislike is the mandatory taxes (where applicable), which are not always required when buying directly from developers. I hope to see the catalog of applications increase with time, as the selection is currently limited. Considering it's only a few months old, I think the Mac App Store is a great place to find (and even buy) software.
  8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Jan 30, 2008
    Washington DC
    The Mac App Store is definitely a great place to find apps and it's only a matter of time before more and more powerful and popular apps are available. I have a friend who's an editor for Inside Mac Apps - - and he's interviewed a bunch of mac app developers, they ALL say they LOVE developing mac apps but HATE the red tape. Apparently it's a real pain.

In a year the Mac App Store will be as popular as the App Store is for iPhone and iPad...only a matter of time.
  9. darkhost macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2011
    I just love the fact that I don't have to make a trip to the store to buy a program, it's right there in front of me.
  10. clientsiman macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2009
    I still prefer to buy directly from the developers but I guess it is a step in the right direction.