How Would You Redesign the Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vandlism, Mar 31, 2008.

1. vandlism macrumors 6502

Reviews remain mixed about the Mighty Mouse and its bluetooth counterpart. Its 360-degree scrolling ball makes things easy, but many users (myself included) have experienced the ball eventually failing and becoming clogged with dirt and dust. Its other issues include not having two physical buttons (something our PC and Mac brethren lament equally). I long ago switched to a Logitech wireless mouse for both ergonomic feel as well as weight. My issue with Logitech is their poor software. Anyways, with the advent of multi-touch availability on the Macbook Air and Pro, where are the desktop users left? It will be some time before we see touch-screen Macs, but why not a multi-touch mouse? It is already partially there for the right-click. My gaming friends dislike the Mighty Mouse because of the need to remove your primary finger to activate the right click. Well, the Macbooks can make a right click by using two fingers. Seems logical that this might be the next step for the Mighty Mouse. A multi-touch shell would make right-click easier, perhaps fix the twitchy side buttons, as well as remove the 360-degree scroll ball but still retain the functionality.

Apple has apparently already worked on this idea, though by now they may have come up with something new. AppleInsider looks over a patent filed by Apple last year here.

So what would you do to make the Mighty Mouse more enjoyable for the everyday user? Is Apple over-engineering the mouse? Also, can it come in matte black?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re-shape it, give it two proper buttons, and make the scroll wheel not so out right crappy.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't mind the mighty mouse too much. I've been able to keep the scroll ball clean and it works fine for me.

To me really all that's needed are standard right- and left-click buttons. Even though I know the "trick" to a proper right-click, I still only can make it work about 90 percent of the time. A button should not fail 10 percent of the time. The buttons on the side of the mouse are worthless and could be eliminated. Maybe if they weren't so hard to click they'd be worthwhile.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm quite fond of the Mighty Mouse, but would like it more if...

1. Make cleaning the ball easier.
    2. Make it possible to left and right click simultaneously.
    3. Turn the side buttons in to independent buttons.
    4. On the corded Mighty Mouse, make it so that the side buttons function even when the left or right buttons are depressed. (this is already true for the cordless Mighty Mouse)

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I use a wired Mighty Mouse at work (graphic design) and the wireless version at home. The wireless one was actually my last mouse purchase. I think it works well enough, and is comfortable, at least to me. The side buttons, however, as wordmunger said, pretty worthless. They never get purposefully used.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I adore my MM. Wired, though... wireless mice are just annoying.

My scroll wheel doesn't get blocked up, though I know it does for a lot of people, and I 'push' it for dashboard and squeeze the sides for exposé. Perfect.

It's also accurate and comfortable :) Right click also always works fine for me - you have to get used to lifting your left finger up when you right click, otherwise it still does a left click.

Now I'm not saying I wouldn't improve the MM - I think ergonomically it could be better and if they could stop the scroll wheel from blocking then it'd make a lot of people happy :) It'd be really cool if they could integrate touch features into the mouse - or perhaps even create a desktop-style trackpad that's actually practical for heavy use.

But yeah, MM++ :)

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Take a Microsoft intellimouse explorer look at useful things like back/forward buttons (instead of pointless side buttons which don't really do a lot - well different things can be assigned). Design proper left and right buttons that work even another finger is on the other button. Improve battery life. Make it user serviceable on the scrollball.

Other than that it's fine.

8. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

First, I would stop gluing the fraking things together. The outer ring & upper case should simply snap together to make cleaning the scroll ball easier. Next, I would make the new-style housing available as a service part, along with replacement scroll ball assemblies and replacement USB cables. This would help Apple reduce warranty costs and go a long way towards keeping all those "broken" mice out of the landfill.

9. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

Oh please. I'm using an Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 right now, because I can't get service parts for my BT MM, and I had it leftover from my PC days. The scroll wheel has a flat spot when scrolling vertically. The side scrolling is too stiff and either too fast or too slow, depending on the speed selected. Buttons 1 & 2 must be depressed on the frontmost third of the button or they often don't register at all. The back button is nice though, even if I had to set that function myself in the driver preferences pane. The forward button is barely useful because it's too far forward, IMHO. Let's not forget that the optical sensor is off-center, and that it's really only suitable for the 87% of the population who are right-handed.

Other than that, MS mice are great.

10. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I never mentioned the scroll wheel was any good, just the side buttons (though the none sidewards scroll wheels were fine).

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If the ball gets dirty, turn the mouse over, rub it in various motions on a piece of paper for 10 mins. Paper becomes dirty, ball becomes clean. I'm guessing you all knew this anyway.

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I would just fix that dang scroll ball! Way too finicky for practical use. You pretty much have to wear a latex glove on that hand the entire time you're using it.

13. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I think they should use aluminium for the outer shell, and make the ball a little bit bigger. I like everything else about it.

14. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Everything you said. I had to get my MM replaced because the ball failed, I sold the replacement because I knew it would happen again. Not being able to left+right click is stupid, a piece of software I use often needs to have both buttons clicked at once. Having the extra buttons is pointless if they only work as one, back + forward is what most people use these for.

15. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Guess I'm one of the few who likes his MM -- except for the inability to clean the scroll ball easily. Otherwise I find it to be a wonderful mouse, and use one daily on my Windows machine at work.

I think the suggestion of one finger/two finger clicking for left/right is interesting, though.

16. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I actually use the side buttons a lot for Exposé. They are very useful for that and I would hate to see them disappear, although they do seem pointless if you don't use Exposé.

17. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

18. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

turn it into the logitech revolution with bluetooth, done.