How would you spilt the cost in this business?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Reach9, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

[This is all hypothetical]

If I own a web system business. And i wanted to hire a developer to help me bring this project to life, should I make the business into a partnership? If so, what should the split be?

I'm thinking 65/35 because I'm the owner of the company, i have a vision, i know which strategies to use etc. I just need someone to code it. How much piece of the pie should they get?

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Personally I would just pay the other person for the work they do. Whatever they're hourly/project rate is. They say that the only ship that won't sail, is a partnership.

3. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Heard that too, thanks.

Hiring a developer is pretty expensive, and money doesn't come easy during a recession.
    I guess my choice would be to snag a couple computer science students from my city's university.

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Agree. Cheaper in the long run than having to give away parts of your company.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you don't want to give away the store with a joint-proprietorship, go for a limited partnership at a percentage, with his/her talent building sweat equity.

If they would starve otherwise, some arrangement could be made for a base salary.