How would you transition from desktop PC to rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reimer, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

Speaking mainly in terms of storage. I'm looking at handing down my desktop PC to a sibling but would like to keep the three SATA drives.

I don't necessarily want three separate external drives so I'm not sure what the options are. I haven't entired ruled out the cMBP either but we'll see.

Those of you who have went this route (desktop -> MBP), what's your setup like?

2. chibisukee macrumors newbie

I just ordered a sata to usb cable and copied everything over.

If you need the storage space and don't want to use the drives as separate external drives, maybe network attached storage is what you are looking for.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Everything went from the desktop to the MBP. No external drives.

What are your specific concerns? Do you have more data then would fit on the MBP? I'd also suggest going NAS. I guess in my case some stuff did end up on the NAS instead of the MBP.

4. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

You can have up to two 1tb hard drives in the cmbp with one of them in the optical bay and one in the normal hd spot.

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Ordered the 768Gb to ensure the main drive didn't have too many issues, transferred a 2Tb drive (containing less-often used junk, music, pictures, movies, installation images etc) to the media PC so I access it through the network, shoved a 3Tb drive into a cheap USB3 external case to use Time Machine, put the old 512Gb SSD (previously my main C drive) into another USB3 case just for in case. In fact I almost never use this last one, so will put it somewhere else one of these days...

Also, took the opportunity to sort through almost all my files, reorganising the file structure and getting documents where I want them (and binning ones I really don't need any more!). This is a massive job, and you have to just do bits and pieces at a time when you have a spare hour...

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd setup a 4 drive NAS running RAID 5.

The rMBP doesn't have an optical drive or a regular sized HDD.

7. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

He said that he has not ruled out the cmbp. I never said he could do that in the rmbp.