How you go about getting system restore discs.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by toastboy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. toastboy macrumors member

Hi Guys,

for some extra info regarding the lack of system restore discs, I just contacted apple about this. Spoke with a nice guy in Ireland.

He said all Mac's after the 20th now come with Lion, and no system discs.

I stressed that I wanted Snow Leopard as it clearly still states on the iMac web page on apple site that it does still come with Snow Leopard and system restore discs. So its kinda fibbing what it comes with now.

After waiting on hold for 5 mins, the guy said once your mac arrives, find the serial number then contact apple care and they will send out Snow Leopard system restore discs.

Sweet, that's all I wanted, the guy was very nice.

take care guys.

2. papadoc macrumors newbie

My new 21.5 iMac arrived today.

It came with Snow Leopard and the restore discs, so the guy you spoke to had the wrong info.

This is my first iMac, looking forward to the experience :D.

3. toastboy thread starter macrumors member

Hey, that's great how you got your restore discs, did you order a standard iMac or a BTO one? If it was a standard version, then it might be slightly older stock dated before the 20th.
    Many folk on these forums are saying Lion is now pre-installed on new iMac's and no restore discs are included anymore. The apple guy I spoke too also confirmed this, if you ordered after the 20th of this month.

Hope you enjoy your new mac :D

4. papadoc macrumors newbie

I ordered mine yesterday, just the standard one so you are probably right about the BTO ones having Lion installed.

Off to play around with my shinny new toy now:).

5. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I don't know about Scotland, but the US store says they all come with Lion.

At any rate, if it ships with Lion, you have no choice. You won't be able to downgrade it to SL.

If it ships with SL, then you will get the discs with it.

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just got my iMac the other day. It came with Snow Leapord and disk.

One thing I was thinking about is the fact I needed to download the Mac App store from Apple's website to get to Lion. Since Luon has the App store standard, I hope Apple doesn't lose the link for the App store if we have to do a complete restore later in the future. For this reason, I'm considering making a disk image of the Lion installer.

Anyone else think this could be an issue 2 or 3 years down the road?

7. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Why would they "lose" the app store? It isn't going anywhere. Ever. It is the only way to deliver content from apple to the user from pretty much here on out.

Also, you don't "download" the app store. It comes stock with snow leopard.