Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I asked a similar question in another thread... how much pressure can one put on an iDevice? The iPhone has force touch or 3D touch so pressing harder is normal I guess, but what about the iPod or iPad? If one presses on the screen and sees a ripple distortion is it going to damage the screen down the road or are LCD screens made differently these days?

I am mostly curious, as I pressed down on my iPP and saw a little color ripple/wave effect. Will having done that cause any issues? I'm not super familiar on how iPads LCD screen works and worry about damage from slight pressure or distortion. Thanks for any insight or help. :)

*can someone fix the title of the thread from *yough to *tough? lol.

K.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
Well, I know my cat has stepped on both my iPhone and iPad mini screen several times with no issues and he's super fat so I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
I wouldn't expect it to cause damage. In my experience the damage potential for contact with LCDs has always been exaggerated, I've never actually seen it happen from normal finger contact, even on panels that don't have a glass layer (matte screens). It usually requires an impact, a hard object, etc. I've accidentally whacked matte monitors with my hand numerous times with no permanent effects.

That doesn't mean I'd suggest doing it on purpose, but with normal usage I don't see it as a concern. This is one of the reasons I'm not sure 3D touch belongs in the large-screen devices. I'd rather see Pencil support for the whole iPad line. Maybe it wouldn't be a real issue even at those intentionally-applied force levels?

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
All iDevice displays are reasonably strong yet they do break when dropped. There's just too many variables to specify the amount of pressure they'll take.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.