Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
In a nutshell, I'm curious on how they validate code usage. I know Macworld expo validates at the client end, but curious on how. Here's why I'm asking.

Used the techrestore macworld expo code of 08-G-PC300 to get a free exhibit pass for my nephew (I registered my immediate family back in Nov). When I tried to use the code again to register mom, it came up with a $10 charge instead of free. I cleared the cache/cookies/all the usual suspects, reopened firefox and tried to register her again. Same result. (I went back to the coupon and it is only good for the first usage per customer. A friend went through the same process, free for him, $10 for his student.)

Now I'm curious. I picked up my laptop, logged in, tried to register mom, still $10. At that point I figured validation of the free code had to be tied to my ip address. I used netconcealer (free 8 day trial, wahoo) to spoof an ip address out of Brazil. It still came up $10.

Now $10 is a great price, but what I really want to know is how Macworld Expo registration is able to log that I already used the free code once, and I'm not eligible to use it again. Obviously it is not tied to browser, computer, or IP address. Mom's email and address are different, so that's not it either.

So, someone with more savvy than I must know the answer. How do they track that?

(It's not about the code, so please don't post me a code link :))

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
How many machines did you try to register from?

2- An intel imac and a PC Laptop. I also went back on the PC, ran Adware, ccleaner,and TweakNow, then tried again. $10. It's probably something simple and stupid that I haven't thought of, but it has me stumped...

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
It's probably stored in a database on their end. When you enter the code it looks it up to see if it has been used and then goes from there. If it hasn't, it lets you use it for the free. If it has, it sends you to the $10 page. That would be my guess.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
It's probably stored in a database on their end. When you enter the code it looks it up to see if it has been used and then goes from there. If it hasn't, it lets you use it for the free. If it has, it sends you to the $10 page. That would be my guess.

It is a code open for everyone. I know I wasn't the first to use it, and other friends have used it since I did. Same result for them, first is free, then $10 in each case. It isn't using email, name, physical address, phone number, or zip code. It also isn't using ip address or markers on the computer.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Oh I see. I thought it was a different code for everyone. Then I would guess that it is magic. Since you've tried different machines and different info I can't really think of what they are doing.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Have you tried doing it from a different physical location? perhaps using a friends internet access? Perhaps Macworld was able to see past the netconcealer or something....

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Have you tried doing it from a different physical location? perhaps using a friends internet access? Perhaps Macworld was able to see past the netconcealer or something....

I think you've hit on it. Netconcealer just doesn't conceal enough... It will work from a friend's, as long as he/she hasn't used the code prior. It has to be an IP address thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.