Howe to block someone from "Messages" app?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by djsound, Oct 29, 2013.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I need to block a crazy ex gf....On my phone it was easy but her messages still come through to my Messages app on my MBP. I see that there is an option to "Block Person" under "Buddies" but it is greyed out....can someone tell me how to block her on this please?? Ive googles but can't find anywhere....thanks.

2. guitarman777, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's a way to do that from the computer. The block feature is tied specifically to your iPhone itself, not your iPhone's SIM card or your iCloud account. This is something for Apple to consider changing, considering iCloud has enabled multiple access points of communication... Time to go make a feature suggestion on the Apple.com/Feedback page! :D

**EDIT: Here's an idea. You can choose which medium Messages receives iMessages, so if she's only got the phone number associated with your iCloud account you can simply disable it in Messages' preferences.

In Messages, go to Preferences > Accounts > your iMessage account. Unclick the phone number and you should be free & clear, unless she also has your email and sends you iMessages there, in which case you're stuck until Apple creates a fix. This also means your laptop won't get any iMessages your other contacts send to your iCloud-associated phone number, but you can let those friends know to specifically point their messages at your iCloud email.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Preferences / Accounts / Privacy

Enable your account, connect (available/invisible, etc...)

Privacy level : Block specific people

(works for my AIM accounts, don't know how to do so with iMessages)

4. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Ya Bruno I am talking about "Messages"........there is no "privacy" or anything like that so no idea what your talking about.

This feature to block on your phone is TOTALLY useless if you just open up your laptop and there the person is......texting you like mad on messages.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I was talking about this, but this does not exist for iMessages accounts I think, only for AIM accounts for instance : http://hpics.li/549e316

6. Gymgenius Suspended

If you're in the UK, report said, crazy ex gf to the local constabulary. Mention the magic word 'harassment', and they'll have paid her a visit for 'advice' before you've closed the Messages App.

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

hah Gymgenius....I wish I was in the UK. Its almost to that point. =)