How's 2.0 battery lasting on you guys ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Heather1, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

Compare to a jailbroken ipod touch, would you prefer to have the old battery ?! Huh ? Would you ?

2. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

Yup, SMB is a total hog and battery seems to go down a little bit faster in general. But it will be worth it when 2.0.1 comes out;)

3. Maxamillious Suspended

I think I'm getting like 4hr's of continuous use out of mine. It lasts a bit longer in standby but with the Wi-Fi on all day, playing games and using heavy level apps like OmniFocus it kills the battery quick. With all the new apps it's like it's a Game Boy or DS with 1/8th the battery life for gaming, lol.

4. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

45 mins of continuous games (super monkey ball, enigmo, cro-mag) right after charge and still had full battery sign (even though the battery icon isnt very specific, i was surprised). btw, this was on a week 39 touch 16gb. also, this only happened once. maybe the battery icon was showing wrong info

5. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Definitely was draining faster, we can only hope for a larger capacity iPod Touch in Sept/Oct range as well as a much better battery. Pathetic that a iPod with a HARD DRIVE gets almost twice the battery power than that of the iPod Touch.

6. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

thats because hard drive ipods dont run mac os x with all the same kernels, or support most of MAC OS X's API's and dont have wifi, multi-touch, 3.5 inch screen, maps, weather, stocks, youtube. i think you get it now. i think the ipod touch's battery life is great

7. sseelman macrumors regular

I too have seen a big change in battery life since the 2.0 update. Previous to this, my iPod was at 1.1.4, no January update, and not jailbroken. I used to mostly use video and music playback with some web browsing.

But, the reality is that with 2.0 and the new apps, this is almost a totally different device. As with a new device, there is a very different usage pattern. I assume that many of the apps need more CPU to do their graphic magic, and it makes a lot more sense now to use wi-fi almost all the time - like with the app store, a number of the games, email, web, etc.... That is also very different from my previous pattern where I would use wi-fi and turn it off when watching videos. I am also starting to turn the screen brightness down futher than ever. I still do not really trust their auto screen brightness feature. I hope over time that apps might be more tuned for performance, but not sure I would count on it.

So, although I would love the touch too last much longer, I totally understand why it is not. it is my use of it that has changed, so I can not blame Apple per say. The value I am getting is way more than I ever asumd when I bought it.

I might actually consider looking at the Mophie Juice Pack for the touch. I think it is a pre-order thing now. I might try to just wait to September to see if a new touch is being planned. If not, I'll probably look at the Mophie.

Sam

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the old battery? does the update come with a new battery? lol

9. cuanurse macrumors regular

The battery life has dwindled but I am also using it more so that is to be expected.

10. OMG MasterChief macrumors newbie

11. macguy4reals macrumors newbie

So if I say that my battery is better now, do you believe me?

I did a complete restore and then did the 2.0 upgrade. I have spent upwards of an hour playing Texas Hold 'Em and listening to music and the battery bar barely moved. I have also been listening to music for about 4 hours and the bar is still full. (Wi-Fi is on, but not connected)

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I normally only ever charge once a week does me fine

13. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

I just got a new Ipod touch, and the Battery life compared to 1.1.4 is decreased. Watch it this way; the ipod touch can do 5 hours of video.
    Games and other apps are more cpu intensive, that means it takes more power from the battery to run it.

14. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I'm seeing the same battery life from my iPod. I'm not using it anymore or less than previously. Obviously if you've got the screen on all the time and are working the CPU it's going to drain a little faster.

15. pisces03x macrumors regular

I usually charge it once a week and by that time it's hovering at about 15-20% battery life, so I'm pretty satisfied with everything.

Obviously if I watch movies or TV shows or whatever, battery life drains much quicker, but it's nothing outrageous.

16. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

yeah, the battery drains much faster for me...

17. trevpb101 macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.0. Previously the WiFi on my 16Gb iPod touch was useless. It would connect for 2 minutes then the signal strength would drop away to zero. I could stand over the access point and receive the wireless signal through my ear hair but the iPos wouldn't get anything. Since the upgrade the WiFi is rock solid and reliable. Yay. However the battery life has dwindled to about 3 hours, so I have to turn it off. Progress???!!

It would be nice to download an application that flipped wireless on and off as I am too lazy to go into settings all the time. Still 2.0 is overall a worthy upgrade - still pissed at having to pay for it though. Don't flame me with iPhone customers pay monthly etc, I'm not arguing that Apple aren't entitled to charge for it, or that I have the choice to upgrade or not. I'm just not happy that I've paid £200 for this and since paid > £20 in upgrades. And people complain about MS practices!