How's AT&T Service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dave-dave, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dave-dave macrumors newbie

Some of you probably read my other thread, now I've realized my whole family won't be getting iphones. Will they notice a significant decline in service or cell signal? We're switching from verizon (the current best provider), will AT&T be much worse? I've compared the national maps from both and verizon has more coverage, but wouldn't AT&T be investing to fix that?

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Verizon has like the largest network (though I think Sprint has a larger EvDo).

AT&T's service is okay. The only problem is that you won't be able to get 3G everywhere as often as EvDo. The signal also isn't as good as Verizon where you can call from the basement of like a factory.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Verizon (in New England) slaps ATT around like a red-headed stepchild.

I'm on ATT (stoopid ditching, Verizon, I know) - and I've had around 6 dropped calls in the past 24 hours. All of them at home, where I have "full service".

4. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    My partner and I switched to AT&T because a family plan with them was pretty darn cheap as compared to Verizon. Caveat emptor - Consumer Reports consistently ranks AT&T behind both T-Mobile and Verizon for call quality, dropped calls and signal strength in most major metropolitan areas. AT&T is a third-rate service, and frankly it feels like a third-rate service. Can't wait to leave them - iPhone be damned.

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

In New York, Verizon. There is no other service that compares.

6. Turmoil macrumors regular

I'm happy w/ ATT but it probably depends where you are

In the Seattle market I have used ATT since they were Cingular and before when they were ATT Wireless - we've really never had a problem - the coverage is good and the very few times we've needed customer service they have been swell. I've heard others complain - but they have always been good to me.

7. ljx718 macrumors 6502

here in miami, fl, its 5 bars of 3g EVERYWHERE. att is the best by far. i just switched over from tmobile and i used to get 1-2 bars, sometimes no service in my house. now i never drop below 5 bars with att.

8. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I've had AT&T for almost 2 years and have nothing but good things to say about them. The coverage in my area is pretty robust even though I live in a small town. AT&T seems to be investing a lot of money to expand it's 3G coverage. My area is getting it next month. Which is great considering it's such a small town with no major cities within 200 miles.

9. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

I have had at&t for 5 years nothing but good service and nice representatives, when i first bought the iphone i went to europe for the summer and came back with a 8,000 dollar roaming fee :p but at&t waived it!!! I dont know how but they were extremely nice :) But other than that i get good service in the san Fernando valley here but there are some spotty areas in northridge but besides my friends house everything works fine 3g most of the time :) If anything i would switch to tmobile just because there a gsm company i ain hell going to verizon and there weird crappy phones and service.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

AT&T as a whole is behind Verizon, every market research and every stat will tell you that.

But still, I am unfortunately and not very proud AT&T user for life.

11. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

+1 to that buddy. You said it all for me.

12. Toneboat923 macrumors member

I just switched to att like two weeks ago from verizon, two of my main reasons was their mysterious rate increases and charging me for tech assurance for a phoen i havent had in over a year. Plus their phones hardware-wise suck , and I needed an iphone at some point in this lifetime.

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

AT&T's service is not good, though I have noticed a sharp decrease in dropped calls recently (probably just dumb luck). I, too, switched from Verizon and have been less than satisfied with AT&T's service. The iPhone makes it completely worth it for me, however.

I think the best thing you can do is get someone who has AT&T to come over to your house and make a few calls and see how things go. Do the same at the office. If you have no problems, I wouldn't worry about it terribly. If you have major problems, though, I'd think twice before switching.

14. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

Since you are coming over from Verizon (like I did) you are going to be severely disappointed with AT&T's service. I only had one dropped call that I can recall with my six years of Verizon. Now it's a good day if I don't get a dropped call.

...but hey, at least it's better than Sprint.

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

AT&T has better service than Verizon where I live in Southern California. Sprint has the best coverage here with AT&T behind them, although I've had AT&T since the original iPhone came out and I won't be switching to any other carrier. AT&T's 3G coverage is surprisingly good here, I had decent expectations for it and it pleasantly surpassed them. There is one major road where the service is lacking, although it happens with all the major carriers and I don't go on the road very often so it's not a big deal. Just out of curiosity what city are you located in? That would help to better answer your question.

16. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend switching the whole family over until you get at least one to try out during the 30-day return period. If everything checks out OK, then you bring the rest over.

at&t if fine for me, but I do find Verizon to be a tad bit better here in NYC (I use both). It's a trade off because at&t has the better selection of phones.

17. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

ive never had a dopped call on cingular/att and have been with them for a great amount of time

i guess it really depends where you are... verizon gets barely any service around my time, like people can barely even send text messages

18. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

i gave up Verizon for at&t and so far it's been great. with Verizon i could only get service in one certain corner of my house and would always get dropped calls but with at&t i get it everywhere including my basement (underground with concrete walls). i get better service everywhere i go now, have never had a dropped call, call quality is much better IMO and i get 3G everywhere; i've never seen my phone switch to edge. as for work, i don't know how it works there because we're not allowed to have cellphones or any kind of transmitting device (too much top secret stuff floating around) but it gets good service in the parking lot :D (surprisingly considering the number of satellites and other transmitting devices in the small area).

P.S. I'm in MD just south of Baltimore

19. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

ATT SUCKS compared to Verizon

My immediate family owns 4 iphones and my brother's family owns 3 iphone. The phones are located in San Diego, north of downtown, East Lansing Michigan, San Francisco, Burlingame and New York city. Across the board we are ALL disappointed in ATT: dropped calls, poor coverage...and 3G....now THATS funny. It is a MAJOR step down from Verizon and I have been told by ATT not to expect things to improve any time soon....I complained repeatedly to them.

The bottom line: The iphone is a terrific device with lots of up side potential but it is being held back by the terrible decision to sign on with single carrier: ATT.

20. Toneboat923 macrumors member

so does att fare well in nyc? Im going there for the weekend and im a little nervous about keeping service

21. neilp4453 macrumors regular

I don't live in NYC but I've been there a few times (ever since I got my iPhone a couple weeks ago) and I've gotten good reception and 3g down there. I'm under the impression that developed areas will be better than non-developed areas.

I can't compare with verizon, but I'd like a better explanation than "Verizon is better in NYC than At&t" because that just doesn't explain much. Faster speeds, less dropped calls, what area you live in....etc. I can't find anything wrong with At&t in NYC and Philly.

I live in De and it is fine until you hit that lower Sussex county area where things are just starting to get moving along. Dropped calls? No, but I never get 3g. I always get E or O (O is minimally better than E...what garbage!).

If you live in a undeveloped area, you might want to check things out before going with At&t..that is based on what people say here.

Other than E in garbage areas, I experience so few dropped calls that I don't remember the last one.

On a side note, can phones be a causing factor in dropped calls? I've read cases in forums where this seems to apply. Check for that too.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6 dropped calls in 24 hours? What were you doing that was "full service" that AT&T would disapprove of so much that they'd c-block your call?

23. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

AT&T has been pretty good here at Washington. Good 3G signals, in case if you're going to the western side then it get's back to Edge, otherwise it's ok. Though I miss Verizon, I haven't had a drop call from them, with iPhone on AT&T I had a 1% drop call from 1.0 to 2.1

24. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I've been using AT&T mobile services for over 5 years and have nothing but good things to say about the service reps and the phone service. Places I frequent in the USA have good service levels. I don't experience dropped calls.

I just got my iPhone 3G. I actually bought it in Hawaii while on vacation. The phone service was great there too. As was the 3G service. The same is true now that I am back home in San Jose area.

Scott

25. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

Service is all about where you are. I have used AT&T (and formerly Cingular) for almost 7 years now? Never had a problem with service. Get full bars in my basement, my dorm room, my job (warehouse), all of my classrooms.

In Madison, Wisconsin..At&t kicks Verizon to the curb. I have full bars and 3G at all times. Never had a problem with a dropped call. My roommate (and his Verizon EnV) on the other hand is always sticking his phone out of the window trying to send text messages.

In Chicago land, I've never heard a bad thing about either of them.