How's battery life on 4.3 on S0?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sananda, Mar 31, 2018.

1. sananda macrumors 68020

Is battery life any worse on 4.3 (S0 Watch)? I'm on 4.2.3 and battery life is marginal (although the Apple Store says my battery is good). I don't want to update if it makes things worse for me.

2. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

SS S0 that my son is letting me try. He has the S3 now. I have about 50% left at end of day. Must use Theater Mode to do that. Otherwise, it is pretty bad even before latest update.

3. robertpatryk, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018

robertpatryk macrumors member

It seems to be a little bit better on 4.3 but it’s still too early to tell

4. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

It's at least positive that it doesn't seem worse.

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

I've had mixed results. The first couple days after the patch seemed to be same as all previous wOS 4 versions (or BAD, in other words), but yesterday was more like wOS 3.x; IE pretty good.

Too early to tell for sure just yet, but maybe with this version, wOS 4 finally starts to get decent battery life on OG Watches. I'm slightly optimistic at this point, but still need more data.

6. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

Let’s hope so!

7. Ossyref macrumors member

Ossyref

I’m seeing much improved battery life on my S0 Apple Watch on 4.3. Really hope it continues.

8. kohlson macrumors 68000

A little early to say definitively but about the same as before. I've turned down the brightness, but most days by the end of the day I'm either out of power, or getting the Power Reserve warning. I am fairly active, and set the exercise app often.

9. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

Putting in on at 6:00am and removing it between 10:00 and 11:00 pm I usually have 20-30 percent left. I bought mine used last weekend so I don't know how many charges it's already been through but I'm happy with the results.

10. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Still having uneven results, but seems to be trending a modest improvement overall compared to previous versions. Can we have the French gov't grill Apple some more over planned obsolescence suspicions maybe we could get wOS 4.x back to where 3.x was! :p

11. AGuerrav macrumors regular

AGuerrav

Nine hours regularly ... although, today it goes 10 hours and is at 11%

12. bliggs macrumors 6502

bliggs

I am seeing a slight improvement in battery life as well on my S0 after 4.3 update.

13. Ossyref macrumors member

Ossyref

Almost 12 hours off the charger and still almost 30% battery left. It’s been like this since I updated to 4.3.

I really feel that it’s given my watch a new lease of life!

Attached Files:

14. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

Seems like it should be ok for me to update to 4.3 so I'll give it a go!

15. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

You really shouldn't sit with old firmware in your devices, not these days. It's not safe or convenient for you; even if you don't get hacked, you might get trolled by someone sending you this week's popular unicode string of characters, thus repeatedly crashing your device for example.

16. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

Battery life and not having to buy new devices are my priorities.

I updated my iPhone 5S to iOS 11 and the battery life was so horrendous that I had to buy a new iPhone. I would rather have remained on iOS 10 and taken my chances.

17. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Yes, well, that works I guess, until it doesn't anymore. :) It's really a gamble. Anyhow, as I've been using 4.3 now on my watch for a couple months, it's overall a bit better than previous 4.x versions, but still not AS good as 3.x versions. I get more than a day out of my watch (usually 50%-ish battery left with light, casual use and raise to wake activated), but if I go on a long exercise walk (say, 1+ hour), I'm down below 25% battery at the end of the day. ~1.5 hour walk maybe not quite a week ago I was at 8% when I went to bed.

So as long as I charge every night which I have always done since day 1 anyway (except a handful of times when I forgot, heh), the battery lasts just fine. If I received a million notifications/day, or worse, used bluetooth audio from the watch (which is a super battery hog on S0), then maybe not. But for me, S0 still soldiers on quite sufficiently. It's not fast, but it still gets me there. :D

18. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

It's good you're are making it through the day. As long as I do that, I'm fine. But it's not always the case (and I'm probably using it very lightly. So I'm wary of updates that make the situation worse.

19. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

SS S0 - 4.3
    Mine currently 78% left
    - Usage 1 hour 3 mins
    - Standby 14 hours 5 mins

- settings
    brightness on low
    theatre mode off
    prominent vibrate on

- No 3rd party apps (usually the main reason for poor battery life)