Hows does this sound as a christmas gift for my sis?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by motomac, Nov 18, 2007.

1. motomac macrumors member

I just picked up a 320gig Maxtor External HDD for $99 for my sis as a christmas present to use with her 1.83 C2D mac mini. I got it for $99 at the local Frys Electronics. it has FW400 and USB2.0, and is 7200RPM, which should suffice for her huge CS3 fetish. I wanted to get an internal 2.5" SATA replacement for her machine and get an external case for the old drive. But It just didn't seem to be cost effective yet.

Also, Her mini only came with 512MB of ram. What a joke! I picked up 1 gig of ram for her machine for $27. I would have sprung for the 2 or 4 gig kit but hey, its my sis, not me !(OK i know I sound like a jerk! LOL)

Anyway, I think she is going to love her machine's upgrades! Should I put on a fresh copy of 10.5.1 on the new drive and "kidnap" her mini to install the ram? Or should I just do the upgrades with her so she can see how easy it is to do. Whatever I do, I def. think the new external drive should be the new startup disk, cause I know it will boost the performance of the mini.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The mini max ram is 2x1GB sticks not 2x 2Gb sticks ..

3. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Personally, I think those are wonderful gifts any Mac user would be glad to recieve.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Thought the C2D could use 3 GB total.

Sounds like a great present to me, good ideas!

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

Core2Duo Mini is the same as the C2D MacBook pre-Santa Rosa.
    512 + 1 = 1.5 Gb
    512 + 2 = 2.5 Gb
    1 + 2 = 3 GB
    2 + 2 = 3.3 Gb

Spring for a 2 Gb SODIMM for her, mate. With CS3 she needs it. With a 1 Gb SODIMM she's only going to have 1.5 Gb net, which isn't really enough.

6. motomac thread starter macrumors member

Im pretty sure I saw someone on here (or it may have been on 123macmini.com) post a screen shot of their C2D mini with 10.5 showing the full 4gigs of ram being utilized.

It has also been said that a C2D mini with 10.4 (32bit utilization)only shows 3.3gigs max, while the same mini with 10.5 (could be 10.5.1) (10.5.X has 64bit utilization) shows all 4 gigs. Call me crazy, but I believe that there was a software/firmware obstruction in 10.4 making only 3.3 avalaible. Has anyone tried the new 10.4.11 update yet?

Never the less, I think I will spring for 2 gigs for now for my sis. That should be enough to make her mini zing!:D