How's iOS 6 On Older Devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by markrox7, Aug 7, 2012.

1. markrox7 macrumors 6502

How are the beta previews of iOS 6 on older gen iDevices like the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPad 2? (I'm considering these "old" as they're not the newest models, and yes I know that a new iPhone and [maybe] iPad are allegedly going to be released soon)

2. danielceleste macrumors regular

You can't consider the iPad 2 old, because the processing and graphical power is the same. (I know the new iPad has 4x graphics, but 4x pixels makes up for it)

I've heard it runs great on A4 devices and the 3GS

3. rappr macrumors member

So far runs well on the iPhone 4. Comparable to the 3GS running iOS 4

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Runs not that well on an iPhone 4. iOS5 is much faster. Music app is a stuttery, glitchy slow mess, as is the maps app, and as is the keyboard. You want speed with an iPhone 4-era device, you stick with iOS 5. I'll manage to live without a gimped maps app, a blue status bar, and chrome volume bars (can't believe they're calling iOS 6 a major revision).

5. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I think this is one of those 'your mileage may vary' as I had iOS 6 on an iPhone 4 and had none of these issues. Mine was smooth, battery was fine, music app no issues and anything that used the maps was OK too.

pac

6. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's running fine on my 3GS.

Actually it's got twice as powerful graphics, not four times.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Runs fine on my iPhone 4. Music with iTunes Match, etc. Other than some minor quirkiness related to beta status.

Also realize, there are likely debug and logging routines running which will eat some performance. It's not necessarily a good representation of the final compiled product.

9. danielceleste macrumors regular

Sorry, that's what I meant :D (I got mixed up with 2x graphics and 4 cores)

Anyways, my point is that there is no graphical improvement on the new iPad, other than that the screen looks amazing!

Don't believe me? Test it for yourself

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah, in fact the SGX543MP4 is a little too weak for the resolution. That's why some games have to run at 1536x1152 (halfway) or at 2048x1536 but with reduced effects. Still worth it for the display I reckon, but the next gen will be mind blowing :D

11. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I've had none of those issues with ios 6 my ip4 I actually found it a bit faster than iOS 5. I did a clean install so maybe that makes a difference.

12. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I haven't had any of those issues running IOS6 on iPhone4. My music app works even better, and has clearer sound. The only issue was the app store didn't work for about an hour. Chalk that up to being beta, since people with 4S also expirenced the same delay which cleared up.

13. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I don't know why then that iOS 6, especially with iTunes match, seems quite a lot slower than iOS 5 even with clean installs. You guys are lucky I guess.

14. marcolino macrumors newbie

15. pk7 macrumors 6502

iOS 6 isn't compatible at all with the first generation iPad.

16. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I cant believe that they cut this out. I don't own one but I think it is disgraceful as the 3GS still supports it whilst the iPad (which was released later) doesn't. It has a better processor and probably is more capable.
    I wouldn't have minded if they had dropped the 3GS but the iPad?
    It is a bit like Apple's sudden drop of the 2nd/3rd Gen iPod Touch 8GB, it was sold at the same time as the 3rd Gen however was not updated to support the new software even though it was perfectly capable.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3GS is still a sold and supported device.
    iPad 1st generation is not.

18. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

That's what I said.. I am disgusted at this...

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

NES is no longer sold and supported.
    Mario Party 9 wasn't coded to run on it.

Does this disgust you as well?

20. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

No the thing that disgusts me is that the 3GS is an older product than the iPad and up until recently, Apple were still selling the iPad 1 on the Refurbished section, even though iOS 6 had been previewed.

NES is very old.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This analogy doesn't work at all. NES can't possibly run Mario Party 9, it couldn't even run the original Mario Party. The original iPad is more than capable of running iOS 6 if the 3GS is, right?

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Refurbished is completely different. 3GS still sold as new. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone3gs

iPad launched with iOS3, got 4, and then got 5. It got the usual and expected 2 major OS updates from Apple. 3GS is just an odd outlier because it's still being sold as new.