How's iOS 8 doing on your devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jian, Jun 6, 2014.

1. jian macrumors regular

Ok, I am not a developer and I bought a UDID registration for my iPhone 5S(for safety just in case if Apple decides to deactivate non registered iOS devices) and I upgraded my iPad 3 CDMA without an UDID reg.

Now, granted, iPhone 5S is way faster than iPad 3, but there seems to be more crashes and more bugs on iPad 3 than my iPhone 5S, not to mention it's also a lot slower than my 5S too.

5S is doing OK, there are some bugs, but as for every day tasks, such as phone, text, and emails, it's doing really well for a beta 1.

There are obviously some bugs that I encounter here and there with third party apps but that's really out of anyone's control at the moment.

How is iOS 8 doing on your devices and what devices are you using?
    Also... how long does it typically take for apple to release beta 2? Probably only Cupertino knows.

2. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

iOS 8 beta is worse than Yosemite beta that's for sure. But it's early days. Things will prove eventually.

3. hrrslmpk macrumors member

I'm a registered developer and I welcome a vocal community addressing all the minor and large bugs in the betas even if they aren't developers they are helping out by potentially addressing bugs and issues that other developers and apple may have overlooked.

4. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Back on topic guys.. I believe beta 2 of iOS 7 was released on June 24th last year, so maybe that could be somewhat of a reference?

5. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

So, to actually answer your question (as another non-developer) I've only installed it on my iPad mini (original) so far. It's definitely useable and I've only had one app not work (it's been addressed in a few other threads). Definitely slow and buggy... I've done lots of restarting but the ipad hasn't restarted itself yet.

Overall, I don't regret installing it and I'm super tempted to install it on my 5S.

6. outlawarth macrumors regular

I have it on my 5S which is my main device. Except for some minor glitches it's been running smoothly for me for the most part. All of my apps are working fine and I find this beta way more stable than iOS 7 first beta was.

7. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

So far going so well. Testing it on the Ipad Air and will continue to do so for the next week. Only 2 or three apps crash and Infinity Blade doesn't work at all.

The Calendar app crashes quite a bit, specially when I try to edit my holiday event which was meant to start yesterday (but due to a serious family incident, I couldn't go), however I did it from the iphone.

I am still stunned at how i can reply to text messages from the Ipad though (I have it also installed on my iphone 5s, which only contains the default apps, nothing more, as i tend to use my phone as….wait for it… a phone)

So far all in all really liking it and have been impressed with the stability of it. :)

8. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Forget about when they released beta 2 last year.

Beta 2 will be out on the 16th or 17th of June.

9. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Only Apple knows for sure, but judging by the past few years I would guess about two weeks. No promises, but I'll be looking for beta 2 on or around Monday the 16th.

10. c1phr macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, since I never tried accessing the site before I was a developer, but can't you only use the Apple bug reporter if you're a registered dev? Therefore, non-devs using the beta are really not helping out anyone?

11. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

I was having major problems with beta 1 - safari not loading, Facebook doing nothing. The whole phone freezing multiple times and constant resprings...I was tearing my hair out! I then DFU restored the phone and set it up as a new phone...something I was always resistant to as I didn't want to lose texts and app data but thought I'd bite the bullet this time.

All I can say is the phone is working like a dream! Not had a respring yet (been using it all day), battery life is notably improved and all (previously broken) apps are now working with the exception of notifications for Pebble.

If anyone has any problems, setting up as a new phone is highly recommended.

12. curiosity macrumors regular

I use it on an iPad 4, and there is not much difference compared to iOS 7. I wonder what they've been doing all the time.

The keyboard still lags, especially with click sounds turned on, which is the default. Always lags when tapping the "123" button for the first time. Yes, it's a beta, but those lags are present in iOS 7 since its release. iOS 6 didn't have such problems. I begin to believe they are not gonna do anything to fix this. I'm sure Steve Jobs would have got mad when he tried the keyboard. Jony Ive, apathetic as he looks in some of his photos, doesn't care.

4-finger-gesture lag, too.

They are not demanding anymore.

13. schlaufox macrumors regular

Running iOS 8 on my primary phone, an iPhone 5, and it's generally not bad, and a fair bit more stable than the early iOS 7 betas were.

The most buggy app for me has definitely been Camera.app (though I love the new time-lapse video mode). The camera often just freezes and has to be force quit.

Other than that, no real problems apart from the App Store wanting my location constantly (an issue known by Apple) and Settings.app crashing frequently. Overall, pretty stable!

14. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Ever since I got the first beta version of 1Password, aka the only app I rely on on a daily basis, I've been pretty pleased with the performance so far.

15. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

Non developers aren't supposed to be helping anyone out, we just want iOS 8 because we're impatient, and I was talking about complaining in this forum not via a bug reporter, not all of us complain about our favourite game not working, because we aren't stupid

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

17. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I'm not a developer and I've been running iOS betas since iOS 5. So far, with iOS 8, it is the most stable of all the Beta 1's that I've used. However, I'm running it on an iPhone 5S and an iPad Air. It seems to be MUCH more stable on the iPhone. They both have their obvious bugs. I've have springboard crash on me on my 5S and Settings crash, but on my iPad Air, almost all of my apps crash at least once or twice upon starting up.

Also, I am running Yosemite on my rMBP and it is just downright amazing. I'm shocked at how stable it is. There are small bugs here and there and some speed optimizations that could be added, but overall, I'm impressed with how well it's running.

18. c1phr macrumors 6502

My apologizes, I should have been more specific. I was responding to this post in particular.

19. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Generally speaking iOS 8 is running much better for me then Yosemite.

Typically Apple releases updates to the beta's just about every 2 weeks.

20. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

what about some people saying whatspap wasn't working? is it true updating deleted camera roll? I wouldn't mind putting as a new phone but I would lose my texts and pics in camera roll, I kind of hate how the current iCloud backup works, I hope this new stuff is way better.

Also right now I can do it as a update and no UDID or anything needed, if I do it as DFU it will ask for UDID. any way around that?
    my daily app list is below

whatsapp
    viber
    facebook
    snapchat
    twitter
    google voice
    youtube
    cars.com
    kbb
    manheim
    carfax

21. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

If you say so.. Hope you're right. :)

22. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Last night i had to downgrade to 7.1.1 as my iPhone 5S wasn't working well on iOS 8 with the apps i use most and i even had it setup as a new phone.

Faults i found in the actual OS and not third party apps:

Some telephone calls i could not hang up from and had to hard reset my device
    Couldn't answer some calls if my laptop with Yosemite installed was turned on
    Screen Brightness would dim
    Random Resprings

Faults in my most Used Apps

Facebook - Cant watch videos on my feed
    Whatsapp - Crashes when i goto open a particular message and won't work until you delete that message
    Google+ - Constant Crashing
    Hangouts - Can't attach image to a message as looking for Camera Roll

There are more i could list bust these were the ones that made me revert back, As a small developer i didn't have the luxury of owning a second iPhone to use as a testing device so i may just hold off a few Betas more before trying again, but all in all i'm liking what i'm seeing and look forward to the final release along with some nice new hardware.

23. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

4S settings crashes sometimes no biggie music app crashed after only playing 1 song.

24. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

8 is working great on my 5s and is my daily driver. I am actually getting better battery life with everything turned on.

25. coconutxyz macrumors member

using it on my main device. battery is on par with ios 7.1.1. no major bugs, no restart, only some minor app crash