How's IP5, 5s, 5c working with AWatch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jbizzybeetle, May 27, 2015.

1. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

Curious, how is AWatch working with the iP5 units and the IOS8.3 updates?

I'm considering going back to the smaller, lighter IP5 series, from the 6-plus.

2. Mumbles01 macrumors regular

I couldn't personally say. Though I do have a 5s (still waiting on my watch)
    But I do think we will be quick out dated.
    From what I'm reading online ios9 is going to be heavy. Lots of bloatwear like home kit & health kit additions.
    If stick with the 6 if I were you. Sooner then later the 5 will be extremely sluggish.

3. TeachwithApple macrumors newbie

No problems here

I have a 5s and haven't had any issues with connectivity. One of my other apple-fan/teacher-friend has a 6 and a watch so we've been checking everything.

However, I wouldn't suggest going to a 5 or s. From the rumors I've read, there is a chance that the next iPhone launch could include a 4inch screen for people that don't want to larger size.

4. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

There are also rumours that the 6c will have the same internals as the 5s, but only have the addition of the NFC antennae to support Apple Pay (so, those having a 5s won't have an upgrade path).

Per the comment about iOS9 being "bloated" - you're only speaking from innuendo and rumour. Unless you're running a beta on a 5 or 5s, you have no idea.

From what I've heard, it runs fine. I'll be using mine on a 5s when I get it. I won't be upgrading until Apple actually offers an upgrade in this form factor.
    Really don't want a phablet. The 6 is too big.

5. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

good thoughts!

thanks much to both posters so far!

6. macduke Suspended

macduke

Wow, going from the Plus back down to the 4" size? That's quite the jump. Any time I use my wife's iPhone 5 it feels like a little toy in my hands. However, I am looking forward to jumping to the 6S later this year. 5.5" is a bit much for me so 4.7" it is. I'd be worried about jumping down to an iPhone 5 with future proofing in mind. If you're just going to use it for another year until you get another upgrade then the iPhone 5 should be ok. Otherwise get the 5S or wait for the 6S if you can manage the time and use a family member's upgrade. The 6S will have double the RAM and means it will last a really long time compared to the 5 or 5S.

7. Henry54 macrumors newbie

There won't be an iPhone 6c people! And I've read that iOS 9 will include older devices such as the iPhone 4.

8. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I doubt iOS 9 will go on the 4. But there is a first time for everything.

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

AFAIK, just the 4s, but not 4.

To OP, I have 2 watches on hand right now, both of them are 38mm SS. One paired with a 6+, the other one paired with a 5s. Both phone running iOS 8.4 (12H4098c). TBO, can't feel any difference on the watch side.

10. Twyntub macrumors member

I'm using an iPhone 5 - all fine, no issues with performance or battery life in 8.3. Rather hoping they don't make the next series any bigger...

11. Henry54 macrumors newbie

According to 9to5mac, iOS 9 will support a5 devices

Attached Files:

12. kitkat2 macrumors member

I'm using my watch with a 5 and it's pretty great. It's nice to be able to use Apple Pay now.

13. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'm using my Apple Watch with an iPhone 5, and it works wonderfully. I haven't noticed any major hit to the battery life, and as the poster above me said, it's cool to be able to make use of Apple Pay finally :)

14. flur macrumors 68000

I have a 5s and everything works great, no loss in battery life with the watch.

As far as iOS 9, or being outdated, or whatever, no one knows yet. We'll know more in a couple of weeks, so... if you're worried about it, wait a couple weeks. But