Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Anyone from Silicon Valley here?
How's it like living there, compared to, let say, southern California?
Is it really all about tech? How are the people there? Is it easy to get in touch with people working for Apple, Google, Facebook etc.?

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Anyone from Silicon Valley here?

Kinda...

How's it like living there, compared to, let say, southern California?

DON'T call the highways "the 101", "the 280", "the 880". DO call them "101", "280", "880".
DON'T call it Frisco or San Fran. DO call it "The City".

Is it really all about tech?

More and more, yes. The non-tech businesses are being pushed out of the area. Tech manufacturing has also been pushed out.

How are the people there? Is it easy to get in touch with people working for Apple, Google, Facebook etc.?

You'll run into tech people everywhere. Eventually you won't care. Besides, most techies can't say anything about their work. You'll learn that you can't have discussions about job related subjects, so you'll have to find other things to talk about.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
It's expensive. Very, very expensive. A teardown with broken windows, a dilapidated roof, and a giant hole in the second floor landing near my friend's house recently sold for $1 million. (Things like that are more shocking to people from outside California, but even compared to SoCal and even compared to much of the rest of the Bay Area, the Valley is expensive). It's crowded and full of traffic, but coming from SoCal nothing will surprise you in that department.

It is kind of all about tech in some circles, certainly. Practically everyone I know in their 20s who lives here works for some kind of tech company, even people I never would've expected to. I have to hear about how they go out drinking with their coworkers regularly and eat gourmet food at work every day. I know people who put almost their entire paycheck into paying rent.

It's very progressive. It's not "freaky" like SF and Berkeley, but it's overwhelmingly liberal. Lots of Asian and Mexican food. Lots of yoga studios.

P.S. You can also call San Francisco "SF". I hear my fellow Silicon Valley denizens say that a lot. :D

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
It's expensive. Very, very expensive. A teardown with broken windows, a dilapidated roof, and a giant hole in the second floor landing near my friend's house recently sold for $1 million. (Things like that are more shocking to people from outside California, but even compared to SoCal and even compared to much of the rest of the Bay Area, the Valley is expensive). It's crowded and full of traffic, but coming from SoCal nothing will surprise you in that department.

It is kind of all about tech in some circles, certainly. Practically everyone I know in their 20s who lives here works for some kind of tech company, even people I never would've expected to. I have to hear about how they go out drinking with their coworkers regularly and eat gourmet food at work every day. I know people who put almost their entire paycheck into paying rent.

It's very progressive. It's not "freaky" like SF and Berkeley, but it's overwhelmingly liberal. Lots of Asian and Mexican food. Lots of yoga studios.

P.S. You can also call San Francisco "SF". I hear my fellow Silicon Valley denizens say that a lot. :D

Well, I have to say, besides the insane rent prices, it sounds kinda cool :D
If you're really into tech, it's probably a great place to live. Especially if you can get the chance to work for one of the many great tech companies there. Or live your dream and build your own startup - therefor it's probably the place to be anyway, with all the VC money flying around.

And San Francisco being only a few minutes away is also a plus :)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Well, I have to say, besides the insane rent prices, it sounds kinda cool :D
If you're really into tech, it's probably a great place to live. Especially if you can get the chance to work for one of the many great tech companies there. Or live your dream and build your own startup - therefor it's probably the place to be anyway, with all the VC money flying around.

And San Francisco being only a few minutes away is also a plus :)

The other side of the coin

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/12/the-silicon-valley-suicides/413140/

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Kinda...

DON'T call the highways "the 101", "the 280", "the 880". DO call them "101", "280", "880".
DON'T call it Frisco or San Fran. DO call it "The City".

More and more, yes. The non-tech businesses are being pushed out of the area. Tech manufacturing has also been pushed out.

You'll run into tech people everywhere. Eventually you won't care. Besides, most techies can't say anything about their work. You'll learn that you can't have discussions about job related subjects, so you'll have to find other things to talk about.

Sounds like the Washington, DC area..... Newcomers quickly learn that when they ask someone where he or she works the answer might be very noncommittal, such as, "for the government," with no further information provided. Not a good idea to probe for more details with regard to which in which agency a new friend or neighbor might be working, as in some instances that isn't going to be provided, or it might be but in very vague terms..... And, yep, the conversation usually shifts very quickly to "safer" subjects such as housing prices in the area, kids and schools, etc.

From what little I know about the West Coast, I've gotten the idea that when in the LA area that there it is usually referred to as "PCH" ("Pacific Coast Highway") but that north of LA through the rest of California and going into Oregon, it's "101...."

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
From what little I know about the West Coast, I've gotten the idea that when in the LA area that there it is usually referred to as "PCH" ("Pacific Coast Highway") but that north of LA through the rest of California and going into Oregon, it's "101...."

PCH is 1, not 101. But yes, this is another terminology difference.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Bay Area provides two groups. Middle class that lived there long before prices went up, and the tech workers who've been there for a decade and making a lot of money. That's it. The working classes (think blue collar) moved out a long time ago except with a few exceptions who own their own successful businesses. The rest are homeless and addicts in the streets, usually in slummy areas.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Lived there for 8 years. All over - Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Saratoga, San Jose, Fremont, Union City.

Yes, there is a huge tech influence, and you do find a lot of geeks walking around with Google shirts, and I couldn't stand it even though I was a software engineer myself.

The plus side is that there is huge cultural diversity, but you do find that in SoCal too.

I personally much prefer SoCal to Si Valley.

Reactions: Prince Akeem

Suspended
May 28, 2017
What is so bad about that?
No offense, just curious.

It is hard to put into words, but I felt like people had a very limited range of interests ... it felt like all you could talk about with most people was tech/programming/startups. There was also a sort of stressful vibe. Like people didn't know how to have fun. At least the people I met.

I consider myself a well-rounded person with a lot of interests/hobbies and I like to do all kinds of different things that are entirely outside the scope of tech. And, when I moved to Santa Barbara, I found people with a more diverse range of interests/hobbies who lived more in the present moment. It was a better fit for me personally.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
It is hard to put into words, but I felt like people had a very limited range of interests ... it felt like all you could talk about with most people was tech/programming/startups. There was also a sort of stressful vibe. Like people didn't know how to have fun. At least the people I met.

I consider myself a well-rounded person with a lot of interests/hobbies and I like to do all kinds of different things that are entirely outside the scope of tech. And, when I moved to Santa Barbara, I found people with a more diverse range of interests/hobbies who lived more in the present moment. It was a better fit for me personally.

Totally makes sense. And confirms the stereotype that it really is all about tech and startups there.
Really interesting to see/hear how the vibe is totally different to the rather laid back SoCal lifestyle. And I can see that this kind of lifestyle is certainly not for everyone.

Thanks for your explanation!

Reactions: 0002378

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Totally makes sense. And confirms the stereotype that it really is all about tech and startups there.
Really interesting to see/hear how the vibe is totally different to the rather laid back SoCal lifestyle. And I can see that this kind of lifestyle is certainly not for everyone.

Thanks for your explanation!

You're welcome. Hope you're able to find the place that is just right for you. And, it is a very important decision, believe me.

In defense of the Bay Area, I do want to reiterate that the cultural diversity is great, esp. if you live in/near San Francisco. Languages, foods, etc. It really is a melting pot, and I'm glad I got to experience it.

So, it is not all bad, but it's just a question of what your priorities are. If you are a tech junkie or entrepreneur, it is THE place to be. If you like a more laid back lifestyle, there are far better places to be.

Reactions: infinitejest

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
One of the benefits of Santa Barbara are the killer Mexican places to eat at. The others being that it's actually a nice place, quiet, lush and green. You can also get away from the tacky, overpriced mcmansions that certain foreign investors love building and becoming an eyesore to an otherwise historic and lovely area.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
One of the benefits of Santa Barbara are the killer Mexican places to eat at. The others being that it's actually a nice place, quiet, lush and green. You can also get away from the tacky, overpriced mcmansions that certain foreign investors love building and becoming an eyesore to an otherwise historic and lovely area.

You live in SB ?!

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Sounds like the Washington, DC area..... Newcomers quickly learn that when they ask someone where he or she works the answer might be very noncommittal, such as, "for the government," with no further information provided. Not a good idea to probe for more details with regard to which in which agency a new friend or neighbor might be working, as in some instances that isn't going to be provided, or it might be but in very vague terms..... And, yep, the conversation usually shifts very quickly to "safer" subjects such as housing prices in the area, kids and schools, etc.

And first 3 questions are asked when meeting some one new are; name, what you do and what area you live in or who you work for.

People are very judgemental here.

Reactions: 0002378

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've spent a decent amount of time in MV/SV and traveling back and forth into the city for business and other "misc activities" :D

There's a lot going on outside of the tech space in terms of activities, culture, etc., lots of art, music, hiking, cycling, tons of water related activities, a quick drive to mountains, and endless supply of fantastic places to eat and drink, generally incredible weather.

I don't know if you (the OP) watch Silicon Valley (the HBO show), while it's clearly parody, and over-the-top, much of it is a little _too_ real.

Last edited:

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
I've spent a decent amount of time in MV/SV and traveling back and forth into the city for business and other "misc activities" :D

There's a lot going on outside of the tech space in terms of activities, culture, etc., lots of art, music, hiking, cycling, tons of water related activities, a quick drive to mountains, and endless supply of fantastic places to eat and drink, generally incredible weather.

I don't know if you (the OP) watch Silicon Valley (the HBO show), while it's clearly parody, and over-the-top, much of it is a little _too_ real.

I love the show. That's part of what made me curious about the "real" Silicon Valley :D

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I love the show. That's part of what made me curious about the "real" Silicon Valley :D

The general vibe is just about perfect, and then some of the most absurd stuff on the show happens in some capacity in _real_ life (I could list about 20-30 things from the show from logos to sales staff to insane legal action that I experienced first hand ...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.