how's leopard on a g4 powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by azngamer808, Mar 21, 2008.

1. azngamer808 macrumors member

so i just bought a new macbook pro and am loving leopard. My old powerbook laptop still works wonderfully , but since i'm still running Panther it just seems kinda bleh. i've checked the minimum system requirements for leopard on the apple website and it looks like my laptop should be able to handle it. I'm just concerned about other unmentioned things like my L2 cache being so small and the front side bus also being very low. so basically i'm asking how well will leopard run on my old laptop?

my specs are:
    1.5 ghz powerpc g4
    2 bg ddr sdram
    512kb L2 cache
    167mhz Front side bus

thanks for the help!

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

It will run great. I put it on my wife's iBook G4 1.33/512MB and it is pretty snappy. I would upgrade the RAM if she did anything more than surf the web ;)

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It ran on my G4 in a manner I'd describe as "tolerable for normal usage." That was a 1.25GHz G4 with 1.5GB of RAM. The RAM definitely helped it along.

I'd say for low-demand usage it will run in a perfectly acceptable manner on the machine in question.

4. azngamer808 thread starter macrumors member

great! i wasn't planning on playing games on it and i'm pretty sure any video editing i'll play with will be on my other laptop, so hearing these replies is just what i wanted to see. yay!

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

On my 12" 1.5GHz PB 1.25GB RAM it works easily as well as Tiger did. Just as smooth if not smoother. I wouldn't go back to Tiger.

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I can say exactly the same as above as I have the same specs....

Ive only recently upgraded the ram though and it still worked the same or even better than tiger with 512mb of ram!

7. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

8. zamboni52 macrumors regular

9. Sogo macrumors 6502

I would say that it runs alright, but not Great. Granted I am feeling the age of my computer for what I do at least. Oh, I have the exact same specs as the original poster.

10. HengenJL macrumors 6502

HengenJL

honestly Leopard works great for me.

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz
    1.5GB RaM

and Leopard runs smooth as silk. Spaces is quite possibly my favorite improvement to the OSX platform. Every once in a great while a program will have and issue, but a simple Force Quit and relaunch the program and its all back to norma :)

11. NIPRING macrumors 6502