Hows Power nap on your MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by million7, Jul 26, 2012.

1. million7 macrumors regular

Seeing as this is the MBA section and powernap works on MBAs with ML, how has your experiences with powernap been so far? Does it "just work"? Does it update everything while the lid is closed and stays quiet just like apple says it would?

I still have lion on my MBA.

2. The Smyrk macrumors member

Tried mine last night to see if it would do time machine backups to my AEBS + external hdd. Woke up this morning to an error saying that Time Machine could not back up because the drive was not formatted correctly. Knowing my drive has been working fine before and was in fact formatted correctly I just started a backup manually and it worked just fine. So power nap failed on that one. Plus I tried to see it would work with the "Find My Mac" feature while in power nap today on battery (>60%) and it could not locate :( So far, I haven't experienced anything that has worked on it yet. Will try more tests tomorrow with more simple tasks such as contact and calendar changes. Is it true that Power Nap while on battery only checks incrementally while plugged into power source does continuous updating?

3. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I have so far not expienced anything with powernap working. Yes I have a 2011 MBA

4. InfiniteDeath macrumors newbie

Power nap worked fine on my 2012 Air 11. Opened the lid this morning and I had email notifications already. So it seems to be working fine. I don't bother with backups as this Mac has nothing on it with all my documents and stuff being kept on dropbox and my server so I can't help you with that.

5. JonBook Pro macrumors member

I don't know. I've always had Mail load messages right at startup at an instant.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thunderbird collects my mail, TM backups work fine as well, the mesage about the TC not being formatted is one I had on the first backup after the installation on all 3 Macs...I just pointed TM back to the drive and all was well again. I don't think it's a nap issue.

7. million7 thread starter macrumors regular

i'm not happy with what I'm hearing :(, i was really looking forward to powernap.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Working fine here - don't worry - it's new - there are bound to be the hiccup here and there.

9. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

Grrr. Trying to download the firmware update.

10. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I woke up this morning to nothing different...I for sure turned it on last night, and it said it was on, but it just didn't seem really do anything. I'm gonna give it a few days before I draw any assumptions. Question for you guys- any time you get new mail, you're supposed to get a Notification Center notification, correct? A few times yesterday on my Retina I sent test emails and it would just do the badge icon on the Mail icon and not give me a notification center notification. Working fine on my MBA, but I haven't used my Retina that extensively with ML since I just got it yesterday...

11. Daginator macrumors newbie

Doesn't work for you either? I called support and we couldn't get it do start installing, so I just downloaded it from apples website instead. And installed it myself.

12. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Full night of "power napping" last night. Wake it up this morning, MBA was a little warm, mail had some error about incorrect password to one of my accounts (not true). Time Machine had not backed up. No mail was received from any of my accounts.

Sure looks like its not working to me.

13. Paulioo macrumors newbie

Paulioo

working fine here , I put my air too sleep last night and this afternoon I put it on and all mail had downloaded and all new photos were there in my photo stream

14. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

Finally able to download it. Now, I can't find it even with Spotlight or Finder. I'm in no rush. But, I hope to get this as soon as possible. :D

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Yah doesnt seem to be really working. It's certainly doing tasks while sleeping but backing up to time machine isn't working.

Hopefully we get an update soon.

16. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I just steps away for 2 hours, closed the lid, machine asleep. Came back, TimeMachine says it backed up 1 hour ago. So it looks like Power Nap must have worked! Not sure about email. By the time I checked, it had enough time to get it fresh, but it did report an email an hour ago.

17. The Smyrk macrumors member

Ok, thanks for that! Still need to verify somehow that my time machine backups are in fact happening and working normally.

Yes I agree. I'm not worried as I am sure we will see these minor kinks worked out very soon. I am more interested in the direction this can go. We can see them expand this to file transfers (copying of files), and even apps we want to actively run while "power napping" (would love to see this with transmission, but you can replace with whatever app of choice but you get the idea). This feature will show real promise the longer ML is out and hopefully apple will open to 3rd party app (wishful thinking).

You can also enable it in under Power Adapter tab too.
    [​IMG]

18. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I had that happen once. I think it has to do with losing the network connection during sleep. Maybe a little bug there in the error-checking code that will get fixed in a future update.