How's Refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple.com?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vtbean, Oct 27, 2009.

1. vtbean macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying refurbished Apple Pro instead of getting new MacBook. Anyone here have experience with refurbished items from Apple.com? Any advise is greatly appreciate. Thanks!!!:D

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They are usually of great quality, just like new and come with a full warranty. Many people prefer refurbs and there is no reason why you shouldn't buy one.

Try any of these threads or these.

3. boston44 macrumors 6502

Just like new, they replace all casings so it's all fresh. Highly recommended.

4. galaxy121 macrumors member

They look basically brand new .... I have never had a problem ... they come in a brown box instead of the fancy one but thats it, and it includes the standard 1 year warranty.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I personally don't have but I've heard a lot great things about them. Quality is the same or better than brand news and you'll save some money as well. Also, you may get a "surprise" upgrade like 4GB of RAM instead of 2GB or better GPU

6. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

I just purchased the computer in my sig. I am very, very, impressed! The machine is supposed to come standard with 2GB RAM, and mine had 4GB out of the box! I was very excited! I think you will love buying a refurb!:)

7. boston44 macrumors 6502

I would say go for the refurb. Cheaper, same warranty and quality, and apple-care eligible.

8. waynechriss macrumors regular

I talked to an Apple employee over at the store and they said they replace the casing and some internal parts so no worries: refurbished apple computers are good!

9. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

refurb

We just bought a refurb aluminum MB for my mom and have absolutely no complaints. It arrived quickly and was in perfect condition. I spoke with someone at Apple (1-800-692-7753) and asked about the refurbs prior to ordering. I was told that Apple's goal with the refurb experience is that, if you put a refurb beside a "brand new" product, you should not be able to tell the difference between the two. Further, I was told that if you can tell the difference (ie, if there is any flaw with the refurb) then that is grounds for return.

I will absolutely go the refurb route again... No complaints!

Good luck,
    m&c

10. vtbean thread starter macrumors newbie

11. waynechriss macrumors regular

Yeah that is the summer refresh. i was about to get that but i couldn't sell my white macbook so have fun with it!

12. findmatt77 macrumors newbie

Word to the wise, I once bought a refurbished Powerbook G4 and, on the advice of a friend, the first thing I did out of the box was run Apple's diagnostic test. The test revealed a dead pixel. Apple was great about it and gave me a refund. But an exchange was not an option because they'd run out of the stock of that model.

Bottom line: these refurbs are great machines, but sometimes flaws go undetected. So do what you can to check it out when it arrives. In reality, that advice applies to any laptop you buy.

I ended up buying another refurb and it served me well until I served it poorly. I dropped it and killed the screen.

13. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Dont forget to factor in tax...

Dunno where you are in the world -- but for me here in CA tax is 9.25% -- so that $999 refurb is actually closer to $1100

However macconnection has the same MBP for $1120 after an rebate, with no extra tax.

For another $20, I'm getting new.

Dont get me wrong, I have bought several refurbs, and they have performed OK, but they arent always the most cost effective.