How's texting on watch os3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dmaynard83, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

i had the Apple Watch on release and found text tiresome through Siri. Is the new way to text via scribbling any good?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

It's awesomely good for the small screen but not as good as a keyboard, obviously. It's the price of convenience.

3. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I think scribble is awesome. Sometimes it lags slightly, but I can draw letters very fast and it will eventually catch up. It's pretty accurate and the spell check is intuitive. I wish there was a way to scribble letters and select emojis in the same text.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Agreed. At first I waited for each letter but then I realized I didn't need to. Just keep drawing with your finger and the software will catch up.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Being the screen size is so limited, Siri is adequate for the most part. I have yet to test the scribble. It works decent on iOS 10 on the iPhone.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Sometimes it doesn't recognize characters no matter how you scribble them, but 90 percent of the time it works very well. You can even do multiple letters next to each other and it will take that too or you can continue putting letters on top of letters. They took out the button at the bottom left that let you put exclamation points, periods, numbers, etc for some reason during the beta period...wish they would bring that back.

7. SLM9555 macrumors member

I find the mic / voice text to be incredible!! Seems better than on my phone

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I've long found Siri on the watch to be much better than Siri on my phone, but the improvements with OS3 are still a big improvement. Scribble is great - although with the similar feature now on the phones I'm wishing it would accept my doodles not just letters!

9. B_Schmidt353 macrumors newbie

B_Schmidt353

Scribble is a great concept, but if I have a longer message that I'm going to send, I would just prefer using Siri or pulling out my phone to send it. With that being said, I do enjoy every now and again using Scribble, but I don't think I'd use it for multiple sentences being sent. I'm a college student and it works well to text in class though due to the professors having no clue what I'm doing on my watch.

10. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Scribble is surprisingly good. The next best thing to Apple licensing Graffiti from Palm, which I adored.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No way I'd write sentences with scribble. It's for those times when a single word will do, but the canned messages aren't right and Siri can't be used (or isn't working).

12. rishiomedia macrumors member

I'm with you on that. I'm so used to graffiti that I end up making dashes instead of spaces or two periods instead of one and a space. It would be nice if 3rd parties can have scribble plugins. I'd even like to play with scribble on the iPhone instead of using the keyboard.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Fine for short replies. Not great if you're trying to write a letter. I find myself using dictation unless I'm in a setting where I cannot.

14. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Scribble is indeed awesome. It reminds me of using graffiti on Palm OS. Even before Watch OS3 I found texting on the watch to be useful, but now it is even more so. Dictation has always worked well for me, but of course there are times when dictation is not practical because it's too noisy or because I don't want others to hear me.

Of course there is a point when you realize it will be faster to just get out your iPhone to tap a response on the keyboard, but that point will depend on how comfortable you are with scribble. I wonder if scribble works as well for those with large fingers? Most of my texting is with my wife, and we are usually asking each other very simple questions that often be answered using a default reply. Scribble fills in that gap between default reply and a lengthy response. When just a few words or needed, but a default reply won't do, Scribble is fantastic.

I also like how the updated interface for messages makes it easy to select a default reply or switch to scribble mode or dictation. You even have access to all emojis and sticker apps you may have purchased.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    The first thing I did was start drawing letters using graffiti script. Unfortunately most were not correctly recognized :-( I agree that it would be nice if Apple licensed Graffiti. It does make drawing some letters faster.

15. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I've found transcription to be much quicker on the iPhone 7 and watch OS3

16. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

I have been using Watch OS 3 for a while and it has been a lot better then the last two releases. I haven't had any problem and its fast!

17. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

You can draw the punctuation.

18. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

Oh funny. I keep
    Doing dashes and couldn't figure out why! Graffiti!! It's been years

19. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well yeah, but a lot of the time, I'll draw a number or a special character and it won't parse it properly.

20. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

There actually is a way you can! I don't know if you knew this, but you can scribble the word of an emoji and then press the up/down arrows below the send button and then the emoji equivalent should appear in the scroll options ;)

IMG_0973.jpg IMG_0972.jpg IMG_0974.PNG

21. frjps macrumors member

Thanks for that tip & screenshots! Didn't know that!

22. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

This is awesome! Now is there a way to look up which words correspond to emoji or do you just need to guess and check?

23. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

I just guess, but a site such as emojipedia may prove useful.

24. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I really like scribble but I have troubles in writing the letter n.
    The easiest way is to draw the upper case N, and that's ok at the beginning of a text or if I'm writing a name, but I obviously don't want a capital N in the middle of a word. If I try to write it lower case half of the time it gets m instead of n. I wish I could write an upper case letter in the middle of a word and get it recognised as lower case, unless I apply a different pressure.
    I guess the problem is that I'm writing italian words and I need to set scribble in english, so if the word is similar to an english one the system helps me and recognise the right letter, but if I'm writing a particular word that doesn't resemble any english one I get wrong results, no matter how many times I try and scribble stops being useful.
    I think guys writing in spanish should have the same problem since our languages are similar. I wonder when they'll add languages to scribble.

25. alanderp macrumors member

alanderp

I was really looking forward to scribbles until I realized I wear my watch on my left wrist but I'm also left handed. Tried drawing letters with my right hand and it was really messy and hard. Guess it'll be a few months of getting used to it and becoming ambidextrous.