Hows the activation process going to go?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jembo, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jembo macrumors newbie

I currently have a contract with Verizon and want to cancel it to start a contract with AT&T and get the 3GS. 2 other people will be joining me, however they will just get regular phones.

So, if the iphone is currently backordered and will not arrive for 2 weeks, how will the activation process occur? I guess I'm going to get the 2 other phones within a couple days, but do I activate them on my own or do they already come activated? I'm just not sure how the whole process is going to work with porting over the numbers and canceling the Verizon accounts if the phones are going to arrive at different times

2. jembo thread starter macrumors newbie

3. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

Plug into iTunes and answer the questions when prompted. There is no pre training needed.

4. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

Are you getting a family plan? I don't understand why you are concerned about getting all three done at the same time.

I haven't ported numbers from Verizon, but all of the phones that I have bought from AT&T (or Cingular) have had the telephone number assigned to them at the store. Either you sign a contract at the store or call and agree to the terms with your first phone call.

5. applerocks macrumors regular

It's hard to say without knowing how you're going to buy them. If you go into a store, they'll port the 2 non-iPhone lines over probably, and then port your number once the iPhone is back in stock.

That just might be strange for billing back on the Verizon side, since I'm assuming you'll have two "big" bills for those couple of weeks (your primary line on AT&T and your primary line at Verizon). It's not like one of them is going to only charge you $9.99 for the remaining line.

For that reason (I'm not sure if I've explained it well), it might be better off to wait until you can port all three numbers at once (aka the iPhone is in stock).

If you don't want to, then the transfers and activation process will, again, vary based on how you purchase. If you buy in store, the phones will be activated in store. If you buy online, you'll have to activate them when they arrive (either by putting in the SIM and calling a number or something different...I don't recall exactly). Once you get your phone, you will probably call in to begin the port process from Verizon.

6. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

plug into itunes. Go through some att stuff. it will give your data plan. Hit no texting and your family will give you unlimited texting dont worry.