How's the Apple iPad2 dock with smart cover on?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sodner, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I could not find one in any stores and my order does not ship for another week or so.

Does anyone have a Apple iPad2 dock? If so, does the iPad fit okay with smart cover on? It looks from the pictures on Apple's site that there is a lip on the bottom front of the dock that may interfere with the smart cover.

2. treebark7182 macrumors member

The 1st ipad dock works just fine. Fits like a glove but you cant fold back the smart cover all the way and dock it. I'm not sure the ipad 2 dock can either.

3. cinca macrumors regular

I am eager to hear the reply on this one as well. I kinda boggled my mind when the original iPad 1 dock (or the case) were not designed to work together and I will be doubly disappointed if the dock for the ipad 2 doesn't work with the smart cover -- especially since there has been all this talk of the smart cover design process starting the same day as the actual design of the ipad 2... Additionally, the smart covers are such a nicer product than the original case i suspect they will be much more ubiquitously paired with the ipad 2... It would really be unfortunate if they don't all play nice together..

.... and no, I personally don't think its reasonable to say "just take it off -- it was designed to be easily removed"... How about applying some of those Apple design chops to a docking solution that intelligently works to support the smart cover.. Or even possible a (reasonable) variety of third party cases...

Its also too bad that there aren't any (?) third party docks that dock with the ipad in such a way that work with the ipad with a case on...

4. Sodner thread starter macrumors 68020

Sodner

It's not unreasonable at all to think the dock and the smart cover would not work together. Take the iphone 4, Apples "bumper" and its dock as an example.

Come on Apple, impress me.