How's the ATT & 3G service in your area?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by designtemple, Jun 13, 2009.

1. designtemple macrumors newbie

designtemple

Or wherever you are at?

My wife and I are having really bad connections, dropped calls, no signals etc. and have been working with ATT tech support for the last 2 months or so and they've yet to come to a successful resolution for us. This has been happening in and around our home area only but since it's our only phones we really need to have reliable service.

We are way past our contract so we are really assessing if we want to get the iPhone. With the service this way, we would rather just switch providers.

Clarification:
    Our problems only started about 4-6 mths ago, before that it's been fine.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

3G service is flawless in Northern Virginia except in Vienna where I work (go figure).

Regardless, I've never had a dropped call even at work where I have only 1-3 bars and fluctuations between 3G and Edge.

3. zmanhoops macrumors newbie

I live about 40 miles outside Charlotte, NC. I do not have 3G service but my Edge works just fine and I never have dropped calls

4. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Montgomery County, MD (just outside of DC) and 3G signal is full strength nearly everywhere.

5. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

its horrible in houston. dropped calls all the time, and 3g drops to edge plenty times where its noticable.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Pretty good in Chicago. There are pockets where it's bad but I expect that with every carrier.

7. designtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

designtemple

We both have a 4 year old non-3G Nokia 6682 and live in the south loop area in Chicago. Connection seems to be ok most everywhere except at home or near home. ATT tech support acknowledges that there is "something" wrong with their tower around here.

Would you guys think that our problems wouldn't be any different with the iPhone?

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My brother works in DC and lives in Lorton with us. Whenever I go anywhere with him in this area, I never see him without 3-5 bars of 3G.

9. hkip37 macrumors member

Haven't had any problems with calls

3GS will be my first 3G / edge phone though.. so I can't really comment on the 3G here. Supposedly they started rolling it out here earlier this year, but only part of the area got it, and not the area I live in..

10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Perfect! I live in Pensacola, FL and the coverage is 100%. On the 3G Coverage Map by AT&T we are flooded with "blue" not an orange spec for miles. I'm pretty impressed also because we just got it last year when the 3G came out. :)

11. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

You are in Deepdish, IL. Maybe too deep for ATT signals? :p

12. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

There are pockets where it is bad?!?!? AT&T's service is deplorable in Chicago. Even EDGE has spotty coverage because their network sucks. Hence the reason I dropped their sorry ass for T-Mobile. Yes, it's sort of a pain keeping the iPhone up to date, but I've not had one dropped call in over a year, I have full signal strength everywhere (including inside buildings, where on AT&T as soon as you walk through a door your signal goes down to one or two bars) and, as Steve would say, it just works.

Now, by "Chicago," are you a suburbinite referring to the suburbs, or are you referring to Chicago proper? I live in Chicago, so I am referring to the city.

13. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Anywhere I go between Maine or New Hampshire I have a near perfect 3G connection at all times, I'm very happy with my coverage.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

'Nuf said. :D

Attached Files:

15. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

AT&T covered my area with regular cell service 2 years ago when I signed the original contract. Now when I put in my zip code on AT&T's website, it says they don't cover my area. ow that is BS there.

16. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I have very good 3G service in Philly, PA never have any problems. :)

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Full service here in Michigan....of EDGE. Ugh...

18. designtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

designtemple

We live in the south loop area and work in the loop and strangely enough it is the worst when we are in and around our home.

So does the iPhone work on T-Mo's 3G network?

19. designtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

designtemple

haha yea! too much cheese ;)

20. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I'm confused by the question. If I understand your post, you already have ATT and are unhappy with the coverage in your area. That's not going to improve with the iPhone -- in fact, it may get worse. What am I missing?

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm confused by your confustion...

How's the coverage in your area?

Pretty simple.

22. kvasir macrumors regular

I've had a pretty good experience with 3G in Indianapolis. There is one area where I regularly travel that I get bumped back to EDGE, but overall, it's been good.

23. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Ignore the orange part down by grafton, I dont think anybody lives there anyway. I live on lake Erie. Connection is great.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. hbg macrumors regular

In Raleigh, Charlotte and other major cities in NC it is flawless and great. Despite the claims about how bad AT&T is this is not true in NC. I never get dropped calls and the 3G is extremely fast 1.6MBps. I had both the original iphone and the 3G (since launch a year ago) and have been extremely pleased with AT&T.

In rural areas in NC there is not 3G coverage, but that will change over time. There the regular cell coverage is often good except in the mountains of NC.

25. iGary Guest

iGary

Verrraaay naaaaiiiice.

Attached Files: