Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Getting a full day out of my mini no matter how much I use it. And if I forget to charge it overnight, I've always got enough juice to get me through my morning newspapers and up to work. Then *and this is the point that few seem to be mentioning*, I can pop my mini onto my desktop's USB at work and its practically *fully charged* by coffee break!

Heck, a 1hr charge from near-dead is enough to give you a 50-60% charge, which is enough to get by for the rest of the day (and night).

I was not able to enjoy this much "charging freedom" with my ipad 1,2, or 3!

Charging is practically a non-issue on the mini! I have not once gone to use it and been unable to due to lack of battery. It's brilliant!

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
At 30-40% brightness I use it between 4-5 hours each evening and recharge twice a week. My usage is web, mail, reading, real racing 3 & asphalt, skype (chat & little video). I did not expect it to be this great, my usage meter in 6.1.2 states between 12,5 to 15,5 hours. The sleek design combined with its great materials and lightweight makes it an outstanding device which I totally underestimated, since I even skipped the part of the mini announcement during the Keynote. I downloaded the Keynote again when I had the mini and watched it - I was never that impressed before of any gadget :apple:

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Charged it twice since I bought it last Wednesday, but it's in constant use. No complaints at all.

miltonbull

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Sweden
Battery life is great. Charge it maybe 2-3 times a week with my use. I check mail, fb, twitter, play some games, webbrosing and som Netflix.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
The battery life is absolutely phenomenal. I can easily go through 10+ hours watching video. It even held out for an entire week without a single recharge. Most impressive Apple, most impressive.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
The only use I found taxing on the battery was gaming. But the mini has the same, if not slightly better, battery life as the full sized iPad. I was easily getting 12-15 hours of light usage, and 10+ hours of medium usage. Very impressive.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Attachments

• 2013-03-04 19.26.32.png
    2013-03-04 19.26.32.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 189

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Context:

College. Write ALL of my notes using the iPad mini and Jot Pro stylus. At least 5 hours of continuous usage- reading and writing alone. I also use it for casual gaming during classes and for breaks, and listening to music/watching TV.

Battery life:

Lasts me ALL day, and then some. I usually still have 30-40% at the end of the day. I just plug it in when I go to sleep, and place it in my bag before I rush off to class. I don't every forget my homework or notes anymore.

Whatthehale96

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Alright so in a month I am taking a road trip to Florida. It takes aprox. 12 hours to get there and I'm looking to watch movies and play games on my iPad mini. Should I get an external battery so that it lasts the whole trip? If so which one? I'm looking for a cheap one please. Maybe under 30? Also, are there any battery saving tips to last me 12 hours?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
agree with battery life and charging

About 10+ hours here gaming (damn you Fruit Ninja), watching video, reading documents, magazines and light writing.

I'll post any updates on the non-gaming battery life.

As others have mentioned, it charges quickly (about 90minutes-2 hours) - if you're charging when it's under 10%. :)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Alright so in a month I am taking a road trip to Florida. It takes aprox. 12 hours to get there and I'm looking to watch movies and play games on my iPad mini. Should I get an external battery so that it lasts the whole trip? If so which one? I'm looking for a cheap one please. Maybe under 30? Also, are there any battery saving tips to last me 12 hours?

Yeah.

Get a car charger for it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would get a car charger but I'm going with school on a Coach bus.

When looking for battery packs, make sure they are rated for the iPad. iPhone batteries won't charge the Mini. J8ust search Amazon for "iPad Battery" and pick one. I saw one or two for around $30, but I have no idea how good they are. Two years ago I bought a no-name one for my iPhone and it's still doing a good job so whatever you choose should be fine, and if not... well it was only $30 (not that 30 isn't a lot of money).

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I've had my mini last from 8 to 10 hours using at work and in court. I usually have the screen at about 80% brightness.

I'm very impressed with the battery of the mini. Even at 100% brightness I still get seven hours of reading and working on documents.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012

Look for a portable charger like this, but probably cheaper unless you plan on using it a lot http://www.belkin.com/us/F8M160/p/P-F8M160

liam1981

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
It might be a little off topic. But I have the ipad4 16gb white. After reading a little bit of this thread yesterday I decided to see how long my battery could last for. The usage is 10hours 6minutes. That's with brightness on 50%. And that's with using the twitter app. Facebook app. And Different apps Constant Internet use I get push notifications I've got a lot of photos which I look at a lot. Ad listen to some music would you say the battery life is low or about right. Any input would be most appreciated

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I dont know about the mini, but my iPad 4 gets crazy good battery life. im talking 15 hours on average. Its such a relief compared to a laptop where the battery life just isnt enough when not at home. The only laptops that get decent battery life ar the macbook imo. Even then its 5-6 hours max.

liam1981

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I dont know about the mini, but my iPad 4 gets crazy good battery life. im talking 15 hours on average. Its such a relief compared to a laptop where the battery life just isnt enough when not at home. The only laptops that get decent battery life ar the macbook imo. Even then its 5-6 hours max.
is that the usage or is that with the standby in as we'll because mine is just 10 hours 6 mins actual use.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
I agree with most folks here - the mini feels like it goes on forever between charges when compared to any regular iPad. My issue is that I can't get the mini to charge higher than 95%. Can't seem to reach 100%. My next steps are to try a different charger, or try cycling the battery. We'll see how that goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.