iPad mini How's the defect control on the latest production rminis?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Misskitty, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

For those who recently bought one, has Apple fixed the screen retention, yellowing, weak gamut from last years beyond horrific quality control?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I got mine in February and the production week is around January.

I have to say that mine does not have any issues that you mentioned above.

Plus I don't go looking for any issues when I buy them I just use them.

3. brhume macrumors member

AFAIK, nothing has changed.
    It's still a matter of luck.

IR still exists but you won't notice it 99,9% of the time during real life use. Actually plenty of people have an iPad with IR since months/year but never noticed it. For some it's a non issue: they have to use the special test to see it.

Yellowing still exists. Far more annoying than IR as you always see it.

Narrow gamut is by design. rMini has a narrower gamut than the bigger iPads.

rMini is a great device. Does not look for a perfect screen, just use it. :cool:

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Without forums like this no one would have even noticed the difference between the RMini and Air, for the most part. These forums have driven some to a point they will never be able to enjoy their hardware.

Looking for something wrong will likely find it. Just use and enjoy is the best advise written here.

5. Kangda macrumors member

I do not run tests or look for flaws. I am very happy with my mini retina. Then again, I am not a professional photographer or require perfection for work needs. I use it for watching shows/movies, browsing, and gaming.

6. sholzer macrumors regular

I didn't run any tests or look for flaws in mine, but the yellowing was bad enough for me to notice right away on this site. I thought I could just deal with it and be happy but I couldn't unsee it and returned it.

That said, I would like to get another and I am hoping I get lucky with a better screen. I'm not going to buy and return over and over like some people do to get a perfect screen, I just want one that is useable

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The gamut wasn't a defect; it was how the panel was designed.

8. eneisch macrumors 6502a

My rMini, which was bought the last week of Feb. (not sure of the production date) has a minor light leak in the lower left hand corner (in portrait mode). It is really only visible in a dark room at full brightness, but it is still there. Since the screen is otherwise very good I decided not to attempt a return/replacement. The Geniuses would likely not see it as a defect anyway because it is very slight. My iPad 3 also had a similar minor light leak. Neither leak has affected my day to day enjoyment of either iPad.

9. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon