How's the MBP Shopping Experience at Best Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sudaddy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Sudaddy macrumors member

I am thinking of buying my first Mac laptop - MacBookPro 15'' low end. I have raked up points worth $150 on my Best Buy Rewards zone, plus I have a BB gift card worth $100, and I am hoping BB will match the student discount (since I am a valid student), for another $100. So in total, if I buy from BB, I might end up getting a discount worth $350. But, my question is, how's the MBP shopping experience at BB when compared to Apple Retail or online Store? Does (God forbid) Best Buy install any crap on the MBP before selling it to me? Do they try to shove the GeekSquad protection crap for MBP? Do they match the student discount? Anyone who bought their Mac from BB, care to share your experiences?

2. Chrisw37 macrumors newbie

I have a Best Buy Macbook 13" with no issues. All the same discounts applied that I priced out at the Apple Store. The only reason I went to BB is they are 5 miles from the house compared to 20. I even got the discounts on iWork.

3. jolly romulus macrumors newbie

I tried to buy at best buy for the reasons mentioned above, but they wouldn't give me the student discount ($200 on the high end 15"). Needless to say that was a deal breaker.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

More annoying than anything. Their going to try to push you to buy every accessory out there. Just go in there and say I want this MBP with Apple Care and walk out.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

You should be asking these questions to BestBuy.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

As far as I know, Best Buy WILL NOT match the edu discount. They wouldn't when I bought my MacBook Pro. So I just went to Apple.

7. snakemajestic macrumors member

Recently bought a 13" MBP at best buy, they matched the student discount without any questions, they did not try to sell me any accessories, they did not try to sell me their insurance package, they did not try to sell me apple care, they did not try to sell me anything. The kid got my computer down, walked it to a register, checked me out, handed me the computer, and I went home.

However, I did get this new buyback program thing for free. But yea, pleasurable experience....even more so when they processed my exchange 3 weeks later.:D

8. zer0cool2011 macrumors newbie

no problems at my BB

The "Apple" guy got me the model I wanted, walked with me to the front, as there were a couple of other items I wanted to grab, rang me up at the Customer service register so I didn't have to wait in the checkout line, asked me once if I wanted to add any warranty, and that was it. :)

9. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Best Buy does not sell AppleCare.

They will try to get you to buy their crap warranty instead.

When my GF bougt her iMac a few months ago, I asked them to put AppleCare on it as well. They said "Okay, no problem." What did they end up doing? They put in the SKU for the geek squad rip-off garbage they offer for the same price. I freaked out and put back EVERYTHING i had in my cart that day. Lots of high-margin items that I would have probably bought a few of their warranties on if they weren't such decieving ********s.

10. spob15 macrumors member

Just bought my new 13 from bb for many of the same reasons...they gave me edu discount i printed it out from the apple store...

The kid i dealt with did not try to push anything on me i did not want... plus they have 18 months 0% interest on the bb card for the purchase...

I would do it again

11. miabadboys macrumors member

miabadboys

I bought my MBP 13" highend from Best buy because of the BB rewards i had saved and all the gift cards i got for birthday and christmas. Thats the only reason, have an Apple Store and Best Buy close by. At BB, I got no edu discount when i showed my university ID, not impressed. My last MBP 2 years ago was purchased there too but i did get the edu discount. They are saying the website has a disclaimer saying they dont do that anymore - if you were able to get one good for you, i didnt. Dont even think about getting their service plan, stick with applecare and take it to an Apple Store for service.....if you can

12. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

That's a bummer. Bought two Macbooks there previously and they've matched the student discount. They just had to call the Apple retail store and confirm what that discount was. Sometimes they just won't do financing + price matching, but a lot of times they'll do that too. Do you have an Apple Retail store nearby? Their policy is also if it's a local competitor that has a B&M store.

13. Sudaddy thread starter macrumors member

What is this buyback program? Is this something different than AppleCare?

I plan to buy AppleCare on my own later from Apple Store or online - I realize they (BB) may try to sell GeekSquad stuff instead of AppleCare.

14. rtkane macrumors regular

rtkane

I just got an EDU discount at Best Buy today on a MB Air. $100 off, which I think was even better than what Apple offers. They did try to add on their warranties and sell me iWork but didn't persist when I said no. You should call the store to see if they do it as I heard it varies from store to store. They just rang it up as a price match with "education discount" as the reason.

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

The closet Best Buy to me has Apple Care.

This was several years ago. I am lucky to have 3 Apple Stores within 20 miles, and I just got it there.

16. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I'm probably going to buy at BB because of reward zone points... and when I asked the other day they said they would match the edu discount. The only reason I might not buy there would be if I decide to CTO for some reason... having some trouble making up my mind.

17. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If you have a Microcenter near you can ask Best Buy to price match them too. They are usually $100 under list price.