Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
So I gifted my 10.5 Pro. LTE to my Mom and for now am considering the Mini 4 LTE as a temporary device until the next gen. mini (or Pro. if the mini line really is dead) is released. Concerned about its performance though with 11.4 since its processor is more than a couple of generations old and it has half the amount of RAM as the current iPads.

So to those with the Mini 4 updated to the latest release of iOS; how is the performance?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The mini 4 has 2GB of RAM, which is the same amount of RAM on even the iPhone 8. So RAM wise, it is only trailing behind the latest iPad Pros.

The biggest issue is the A8, which is severely outdated at this point. Having said that, 11.4 seems to run okay (it's not making anything slower once you have iOS11) on my mini 2, which is running an A7 with 1GB of RAM. Thus I would think the mini 4 would fare a lot better with double the RAM capacity. However, I wouldn't buy one today. For a stop gap, the 2018 iPad fits the purpose better (and its starting price is cheaper as well).

Reactions: Synomenon

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I run the beta of iOS 12 on my Mini 4 and it works really well, seems more responsive then when it was iOS 11.

I think the Mini 4 is still worth buying, just make sure you get a discount and don't pay full price.

Reactions: psac and Synomenon

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Still leaning towards the Mini 4. The form factor is just that much more appealing and comfortable to use for me. Plus I don't play any graphically intensive games. I use my iPad mainly for email, web browsing, viewing videos (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc.) and controlling Homekit equipment.

crodonline

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2018
Chicago, IL
I am converting my mini 4 for my mom to use so since it was a clean install, it seems to be fine on 11.4. All I have added is ebook reading apps so far. She'll probably use it for reading, listening to music, maybe watching Hulu, and some browsing, maybe a game or two. But I agree that you should find it on sale somewhere instead of paying full price.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I am converting my mini 4 for my mom to use so since it was a clean install, it seems to be fine on 11.4. All I have added is ebook reading apps so far. She'll probably use it for reading, listening to music, maybe watching Hulu, and some browsing, maybe a game or two. But I agree that you should find it on sale somewhere instead of paying full price.

Been looking for recertified / refurbished LTE / wifi model, but haven't had much luck.

crodonline

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2018
Chicago, IL
Been looking for recertified / refurbished LTE / wifi model, but haven't had much luck.

I am not sure where you are located, but if it's the U.S., do you have Micro Center where you live? I know the prices for iPads are usually cheaper there. Only thing is that you have to do pick it up to get that price I believe.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
I have a mini 4 & an iPad Pro 9.7”. The Pro is way faster than the mini, but the mini is still usable. I think you’ll be fine with one, as a stop gap until a future model. Plus, with the performance improvements in iOS 12 it should be good for a while. I agree with the above, that the 2018 ipad is a better value, but if you’re set on the mini form factor, it will work fine for what you are looking to do with it.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Totally fine on the Mini 4 with 11.4, and I haven't really hit into performance issue with anything. I use it as my primary gaming device (given whatever that means for ios games), and I haven't hit into any issue with any games on it yet. Keep an eye out for Best Buy sales, they seem to have $50 off on the Mini 4 every so often. (I traded in my Mini 2 for my 4 on one of those sales about a year ago.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.