how's the speaker?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Xgamer1224, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Xgamer1224 macrumors regular

i absoluely haveing to plug my headphones into the ipod touch to get sound. so for those of you who have the new touch or have used it, how is the new speaker?

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

My friend went to our local Apple Store and listened to the speaker on it. Said it was crap. Shouldn't surprise anyone. Even Jobs hinted at it.

3. California King macrumors 65816

The speaker is actually not that bad. It's not better than the 3G iPhone, of course, but I would say the quality would be comparable to the original iPhone's, maybe slightly better. It's not that loud, but it's loud enough. If you're playing music too loud on it, it get's a little distorted, but I've found that if you enable bass reducer in the EQ, it solves that problem. I would definitely say it's a great feature and it's not bad, but just don't expect too much. It is perfect for games with sound though!

4. jsbarone macrumors regular

I just got a 16GB iPod touch today, and the speaker is OK, but it's intended purpose isn't really for listening to music. I find that it works well for youtube videos and games and such, but that's about it. Did you really expect more?

5. NothingShocking macrumors newbie

It works out very nicely for videos and has a good volume range. For music you will probably want to stick to headphones though. It's a nice feature overall.

6. California King macrumors 65816

Also, the dock connector kind of acts as a speaker hole. If you press your ear near it, most of the sound is coming out of it. I mean, it's a tiny little speaker, and I'm quite impressed on how the hell they made something so tiny, sound quite decent.

They're saying that thing in the middle is actually the speaker!
    http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speakerez4.jpg

7. aki macrumors 6502a

so from what people say the new speaker is ok for voice but soso for music?....coz if its good enough to watch tv or movies then its good enough for me it think

8. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Speaker is decent for videos, but not very loud at all and does get distorted when you try to turn it up... probably not good for listening to music.

9. telf22 macrumors regular

Its better than the original iphone, not as good as the new 3g (no suprise). It is better quality than i expected it to be, the volume level is fine also.

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

If the speaker is as good as the iPhone 3G, then it's not too bad. Trust me ... it's better than having nothing. I had a 1st Gen Touch before my iPhone 3G and I really appreciate having the external speaker when playing a game or for when I forget my earphones!!

Cheers.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

12. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Where did you find a 32GB 1st gen for $299??

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I found it on Amazon.com. There are some sellers with new units in the $300 to $320 range. But I ended up buying a 'like new' unit there for $280 + $5 ship. If you search EBay for Buy-It-Now auctions in that range, 1 or 2 should pop up as well.

Realistically for me, the extra 16GB is worth far more to me than the volume buttons or a relatively weak speaker. I don't need the Nike+ support either. The coolest new feature for me is Genius, which is available for the original models anyway. And it will go a lot better with 32GB of music instead of 16...

EDIT- Here's one on EBay for $300- item 160281524239 if anyone wants to jump on it (I'm not the seller!)

14. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I just reviewed the keynote to check this, and Jobs more than hints at it. He says it's for "casual listening, not for audio files"

15. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I believe he means audiophiles

16. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Ahhhhhh. That makes sense.

Regardless, though, Jobs did point out that it's not great.

17. disdat macrumors regular

disdat

I just got the iTouch this weekend, and I was disappointed w/ the speakers. I just want to listen to podcasts w/ it, and it is way too soft. I still have to plug in external speakers.