How's the update going, Steve?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Dec 11, 2007.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

I thought you'd never ask. :)
    This thread may be of use to other people thinking of upgrading but who are novices like me and scared of just "having a go".
    My first venture into the world of Mac started with a G3 Blue and White that I bought on eBay for £11.51 (Item #170167913134) with a stated spec of G3, 400MHz, 128 RAM,12GB HDD and a CD. I was very fortunate in that the one I received had a DVD player, not a CD. It seems that the seller had over 40 of these for sale, some with CD and some with DVD. It was just the luck of the draw that I got a DVD one. The easy bit was to then buy 3 x 128 mg memory sticks for a total of £9.50 inc postage to give me a total of 512 meg of RAM.
    I was a bit stuck then until I could find a way to get it running on OS X. I could simply have gone out and bought a brand new copy of Tiger for £50 but you have to remember I'm doing this on a tight budget. I scoured eBay and eventually settled on buying a Panther DVD advertised as being the RETAIL version with black disks and a silver "X". After 2 weeks wait (seller in France) 2 grey disks arrived, EMac restore disk1 and EMac restore disk 2 ..... Gutted.
    Not being one to give up easily, I put the first disk in the drive and restarted the Mac while holding down the "C" key and it fired up and to my complete surprise loaded OS X Panther with no problem whatsoever. BTW, I have no idea what the second disk was for because all it contained were instructions on how to use disk 1.
    I then did a check on the latest software updates and downloaded, installed everything that was available.
    The next thing to try and sort out was a way to connect to the internet without having an ethernet cable trailing across the floor in the living room. I had a Belkin pci wireless card from my dead windows box so I shoved that in and low and behold, it worked. It took me a few minutes to suss out how to set it up as an Airport card (even though it isn't an airport card) and I was away.
    So, from humble beginnings and a total outlay of about £40 I now have a G3 running @ 400 MHz, 512 RAM, Wi-Fi and OSX 10.3.9. OH, I nearly forgot. The total cost may be even less because I have started a Paypal dispute because the disks were not as advertised. I sent 3 mails to the seller over 3 days but got no response from him. :mad:

**Does the Happy Bunny dance**

Attached Files:

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Cool!

Well done, m8!

It seems you are in the market for a 2nd hand Mac mini Core Duo...
    Look out for one.... you'll enjoy that.

4. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not as bright as I thought I was.
    Can you see a pink thing just under the right hand side of the screen?
    That contains the 80 gig HDD that should have gone in first, DOH!!!

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Opps,

Just wondering how large/many drives can it take because for those prices it would be worthwhile picking one up to act as a media server.

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Not a bad price for that Power Mac G3. The old Power Mac G3s are actually really good for DVD playback since they have a dedicated daughtercard on the video card for DVD playback.

7. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

XUKHC ... There seems to be room for 4 drives if you count Scuzzies. I have no idea what kind of sizes can be used apart from hearing somewhere about a 120gig limit on the main drive.

Video playback is a bone of contention right now. I just can't get it to work.
    I can watch video on Youtube with no problem but any kind of file I try to view just won't work. I have Quicktime 7.3 but I can't even watch the Mac adverts from the Mac site. I can hear the voices but not see the images.
    As for avi, mpeg and any other format, forget about it. :mad:

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

uummm.......that was a BTO option, NOT standard equipment....I know 'cause it cost me extra $$ when I got mine back in '99 :p

But yes with that add-on Hardware decoder, they did a really good job of playing movies 4 sure!

If you dont have it, there is not much you can do to get better playback other than upgrade the video card itself to a Radeon 9200 pci.....not that great of a card, but way better than the crappy Rage128 that came in it.......

And ya gotta mAxDaRam to make Smurfies run right.......they'll take 1GB total (4x 256mb)

As for HDD's, yes the mobo controller is limited to <<128GB, but if you want more space & s*p*e*e*e*e*d too, just get an SATA controller card + drives & you'll be all set :p

There is space for 5 drives, 2 stacked in the right most position, 2 others in the bottom tray, and 1 under the optical drive, if you feel so inclined as to do just a bit of internal modding :eek:

And finally, IF you ever get a hold of that bonehead that ripped you off on those Panther disks, please JACKSLAP his a*s for me :D Damn I hate those clowns who advertise one thing & then purposely send you something else. As far as I am concerned, they should be hung upside down by their toenails & left to die in the desert !

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It contains the extra installs such as imovie and all the extra apps that it comes with. You start the install from the first disk though. :)

And well done i hope you enjoy it.

10. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Trainguy.
    I'll have another look at the disk. This time WITH my glasses on, lol.

11. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

OK. I had another chance to check out that second disk when I removed the original disk and replaced it with the 80 gigger. Of course, I had to completely reinstall Panther from scratch but hey! it all a learning curve, huh?
    The second disk ONLY contains 15 .pdf files in all the different languages.
    When you open the file, you just get a small info box telling you to use disk1 to install OS X.
    While on the subject of re-installing, I found a bug that really bugged me and almost caused me to lose the 80 gig hard drive. The drive was originally in my windows box and was half full of windows stuff so it obviously needed something doing to it before I could install Panther. I didn't really know what I was doing so I first of all tried to start up the Mac with no DVD in the drive to see if I could find a way to format it from there but all I got was an icon of a small folder that kept changing from a smiling face to a question mark so that was no good.
    Then I put the first OSX DVD in the drive and restarted with the "C" key held down. I got the installer gizmo up and went through the steps as far as signing the licence and being asked which drive I wanted to install on. My drive was on the list so I clicked it and got a big red exclamation mark and the message that OSX could not be installed on this drive.
    OK, I thought, that's just because it is still full of all the windows stuff. Having a search around, I found the Disk Utility prog and formatted the drive to Mac extended. I tried to install OSX again only to meet the big red exclamation mark again.
    I tried all the other format options and got the same result. I tried repair, restore and everything else that I could see but every time I tried to install......... Same result. I was ready to take the hard drive out and bin it when I got called away from the computer. When I got back to it and started it up again with the "C" key held down, I got to the bit where the red sign of death was before but this time it was a green arrow and the installation completed perfectly.
    All I can surmise is that the red exclamation mark, once shown, does not disappear just by using the Back button, only by starting again from scratch.
    Anyway, my lowly Mac is now as it was in the opening post except it now has an 90 gig hard drive. :):eek:

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I understand that....the actual install data is hidden. So insert disk 1. There should be a extra installer app. Something along the lines of install bundled software. When you run this after you select what you want installed during the install process it will kick out disk 1 and ask you to insert disk 2.