How's this for a workout plan?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MusicEnthusiast, Jan 30, 2012.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Looking to get into shape again (I'm not overweight, just want more energy and to tone up a bit), and I started running tonight, about 1.5 miles (to the park one way). Definitely not used to it since I took a break for about a year. Anyways, with the idea that I spend my time working my way up, here's my cardio/lifting schedule:

Monday: Run (1 hour-ish, about half the time actual running and the other half light jog/walking).

Tuesday: Lifting

Wednesday: Swimming (I was on swim team in HS 3 years ago so I know many strokes and can get back into it quickly)

Thursday: Lift/Break

Friday: Run

Saturday: Lift/Break

Sunday: Break

I chose to lift at least twice a week since I'm more interested in becoming more lean (I have some body fat I'd like to shed off a bit before gaining muscle). That is, I would either lift Tues/Thurs and take Sat/Sun off, lift Tues/Sat and keep Thurs/Sun off, or lift Thurs/Sat and leave Tues/Sun off.

I might wanna increase my protein intake for the lifting and drink more water than milk (I love milk lol). If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

2. Skyrim macrumors member

It look like the Body for Life program, and a sound plan.

3. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Since you want to lean out, when lifting you will want to do less weight and more reps. If you lose the weight and want to gain muscle and mass, change lifting routine to more weight less reps. Plan sounds good tho!

4. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I'd recommend including some high-intensity endurance exercise (4x4 aerobic interval training, for example) in your workout plan if you're looking to improve your fitness quickly. It's the most efficient way to improve your oxygen uptake, and burns calories more efficiently than moderate intensity exercise. Takes a lot less time, and personally, I also find it quite satisfying/enjoyable...

Full disclosure: I work for a cardiac exercise research group, so I'm a little biased, but I'd be happy to back it up with the research if you like :p