How's this SSD for mid-2009 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevearm, Dec 6, 2013.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

As a complete newb when it comes to upgrading my machines beyond upgrading the RAM, I was wondering if this SSD is worth getting on my 2009 13" MBP?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-960...id=1384608636&sr=1-1&keywords=crucial+1tb+ssd

Do I need any extra cables to connect it up?

If anyone has any better suggestions for a 1TB SSD, please let me know.

Also any idea how I would install Mavericks on a blank SSD?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. rapicell macrumors regular

While the 2009 macbook pro can't use SATA III speeds, using an SSD in it will certainly help with loading times for sure. As for how to install the os, typically you get a USB enclosure and plug it in, format, and then install the os (from cd or dmg file by selecting the SSD as the install drive).

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? That doesn't sound good, is it worth the expense then do you think over a regular HDD?

4. rapicell macrumors regular

In all honesty, it depends on the money you're willing to spend. An SSD is still worth the money in keeping a laptop going. I'm still using a 2008 macbook (unibody) with an 840 evo SSD and it's so nice to have a far quicker start/shutdown, apps open/close noticeably quicker, but aside from that there isn't a huge amount of gain with just SATAII speeds. Plus it's also nice not to hear the hard drive spinning, but that's just a personal thing.

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

After installing a lot of m4's, m500's and the 840 series I reckon Samsung have the edge at not only SATA 3 but 2 also.

Done upgrades in identical units:

1tb 840 evo in one Mac mini 2011 960 m500 in the other 840 faster.

Two pairs of tosh's using SATA 2 - 840 evo wins again in both v m500.

Their phones and tablets may not be my cup of tea but their SSD's definitely are.

With a lot of my Windows clients dreading the thought of Windows Hate I do good business giving them the alternative of maxing out their ram, going SSD and a clean Win 7 install. Not had one unhappy after which says it all.

Same rule applies to any MacBook or pro core 2 duo onwards that you can stick at least 4gb ram inside..