How's using the Thunderbolt display after you got an rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac32, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Mac32, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Hi folks :)

I'm wondering whether I should go for the 13'' version of the rMBP for portability with a 27'' Thunderbolt display at home, or just get the 15'' rMBP for use on both work and at home.

Does the Thunderbolt display feel inferior or fuzzy after you got the rMBP, or would you still prefer to use the larger Thunderbolt display rather than the 15'' rMBP?

Thanks!

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I would get either the MBA + TBD or RMBP 15 + TBD. The TBD looks fine and I switch back and forth often.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Thunderbolt display does not look fuzzy at all.

I sit about a foot and some from my Mac display, but I sit like 3 feet away from my Thunderbolt display. Therefore I can't see the individual pixels on either computer.

4. Mac32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, after having checked out the retina macbook pro I just felt the text was much crisper, and thus the screen gave less eye fatigue (and looking crisper also from a distance). I guess the eye fatigue I get from my MacBook Air, can be just as much the overall quality of the screen (The MBA screen having a harsh bluish tint, though F.lux helps for that.)

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Don't know about the TB display, but I have been running a Dell 3008 (30" 2560x1600) for a few years, superb display and very happy with it. Until I got a rMBP. Now it's distinctly ordinary and I'm just hanging out for a retina 30" monitor...

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

So far Apple has not stated what resolution constitutes a 21" or 27" monitor. While TB can do 2560x1400, if you want to use the rMBP's max resolution of 2560x1600, you will have to purchase a 30".

Personally, I want the next generation TB with USB 3. I hope it is released this coming spring. I image Apple needs all the initial screen production for the iMac deliveries for the holidays.

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

Bigger display will always be better to work with. No matter how many pixels can fit on screen, the 15" RMBP is still only 15". If that were my sole monitor to work with all of the time I'd be extremely annoyed.

8. mawyatt macrumors member

I have the MBPr and TBD and like the combo. One nice feature of the TBD is it's a docking station. It has FW, USB (although 2), Ethernet and Thunberbolt ports. The TB monitor cable has a pigtail power adapter for your laptop. This is nice since all you need to connect is the TB cable and power, all the available ports from the TBD are routed thru the TB cable. I run a LaCie Thunderbolt RAID hard drive from the TBD Thunderbolt port, a USB keyboard, and a couple USB hard drives all from the TBD with only the Thunderbolt cable connected to the MBPr.

9. bill-p macrumors 65816

I concur with the others. The TBD doesn't look fuzzy after I got my 15" rMBP.

In fact, I actually would like to see Apple enable scaled resolutions on my TBD. Would love to be able to use 3360 x 1890 scaled mode on my TBD.

Supposedly, 2560 x 1440 at 27 inch gives 109 ppi.
    And 3360 x 1890 at 27 inch gives 143 ppi.

So it'll make things 30% smaller, but I'll have that much extra space to work with.

Since the scale mode at 1x scaling factor is already larger than the TBD resolution, there is no need at all to push 2x graphics... and the end result is not a lot more computation to be made.

10. helveta macrumors member

I have a similar setup, and would love it if I could get it to work consistently. I'm getting tired of having to boot several times most mornings and no help or acknowledgement of the problem from apple. see thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1450956

11. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Well, I don't own either but plan to soon and played around with these devices extensively at an Apple Store yesterday.

I too was concerned that the 109ppi TB Display would be ruined by the rMBP, but for some reason it's not (btw - I own a 27" iMac, so I'm used to staring at that gorgeous IPS panel). While I find the older MBP's hard to look at after using a retina version, I think the TB Display's high-end IPS screen and the relatively further viewing distance makes it more than acceptable.

I am likely holding out for an updated TB Display that matches the new iMac's thinness and design improvements. By then, the 13" rMBP I want to go with it should have updated specs that give it better bang for the buck (mainly a 256GB SSD over the small 128GB).

12. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

+1

13. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I have the display that came before the thunderbolt display. I spend 90% of my computing time looking at it, even after my rMPB upgrade. And I still love it.

14. mawyatt macrumors member

Sorry you are having this problem. I did notice something that might help. If the Thunberbolt cable power pigtial is not engaged (it can easily disconnect) then the TBD does not always respond when first starting out. I use an Apple USB keyboard and wireless Apple mouse when using the TBD and keep the MBPr closed up. You do need the power adapter for the MBPr for use with the TBD pigtail power connector. It costs only $10. you can tell if the TDB is engaged as the connector has a green/orange led that indicates charging.

Hope this helps, good luck.

15. helveta macrumors member

Thanks but this has been going on for a year so I've checked connections multiple times. Sometimes the TBD comes on and the bluetooth magic track pad works but the usb keyboard doesn't. When I restart everything works. Nothing works or doesn't work consistently. I've seen other reports of similar problems in threads but no real solution.

16. Mac32, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

Mac32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tested both back and forth today several times, and there is no doubt about it. The retina MBP 15'' screen is easily superior. It's very noticable on big letters, where you get jagged edges on the Thunderbolt screen and other regular screens - making the letters slightly fuzzy, but on the retina screen it's like reading a newpaper/magazine..more relaxing on the eyes..in my opinion anyway.

You gotta hand it to Apple, the retina upgrade is truly excellent.

17. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

I sit around 2 and a bit feet away from my 27" ACD and I can clearly tell the difference to my rMBP, for me my Apple 27" is clearly low resolution after working on my rMBP. Still lots of physical screen estate, but I prefer to read for any length of time on the rMBP...

18. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Is it not possible or just not feasible from a cost standpoint for Apple to double the resolution of the 27" display? I know the pixel count would be enormous, but a retina 27" TB Display/iMac would be unbelievable.

19. bill-p macrumors 65816

From a software standpoint, they'd need a lot of CPU and GPU power to drive such a display if and when it comes out.

Apple is not quite there yet. They are still trying to figure out how to not make the rMBP lags.

20. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

I think this is still a manufacturer's problem, Apple only push panel manufacturers, they are the ones who have to actually make these panels, I imagine there is still significant hurdles to manufacture with enough working yield.

My rMBP can drive two external displays with ease along with the retina panel so we shouldn't be too far away GPU and software-wise...

21. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I have the 15" rMBP and 27" TB monitor. I use the Retina display at 1920x1200. I like the extra screen space that the 2560x1440 TB provides. I also find that, for photos, the TB monitor is slightly sharper as 1:1 is truly 1:1 instead of the scaling (however good) being done on the Retina display.

I've that the MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter is easier to break the power connection than just the Magsafe 2 cord. when I attached the adapter and move my laptop under my second monitor, I have to watch to make sure the power light doesn't go out.

I found the TB monitor's USB 2.0 hub to be very, very slow compared to my externa hub.