How's Video Editing On Your 2010 MBP 13"???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphone3048, Dec 17, 2010.

1. iphone3048 macrumors member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 2010 MBP 15 with i7 2.8, 8GB ram and SSD!
    BUT, the most I do is convert DVD TO .VOG OR .M4V. Once I get the movie to a very HQ I than import the movie to iMovie to edit the scenes I don't like or want.
    So, I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice here and spent to much money for my needs.

So if you have the MBP and do video editing, PLEAS share how it's working for you? I don't mind to much the smaller screen because I do MISS the AWESOME battery life!

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Pracht macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can get it done, but it'll slow the machine wayyy down. I get about a brief beachball an hour while doing it. It's good, not seamless though

3. iphone3048 thread starter macrumors member

So when using iMovie I should just export the edited video and do something else huh? Last night I did the following, exported an edited movie of 1:30 minutes, converted a dvd movie using handbrake, had netflix streaming a movie, and I was playing the game HALO. All at the same time, just to see if the i7 would slow down. And the thing never did!

I take it the 13" can't do the same right? I know the answer should be no but just checking.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It isn't nearly as good as what you have but from the limited amount I have done, it hasn't been dinosaur slow either. Mind you I am using a SSD which speeds the process up some. If you do video editing frequently, the 13 will likely benefit from maxing the RAM out.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

iMovie has been less than ideal for me on the 13". Not terrible though by any means. Occasional 5-8 second beach ball while it catches up with what I'm doing.

6. Pracht macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

:eek:

Yeah, it won't do all that.

Maybe bumping the ram up as someone else mentioned would stabilize it, but I have 4gb so I can't say from experience

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

do SSD's help.. i always get confused about hte things an SSD can do..

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

I tested several MBP in the store, the 13" MBP has only 30 minutes more battery life in comparison to the 15" 2.4 i5 MBP. It's not that much more.

The 13" MBP can handle it. I mean I was making Music video's back in the days with a slower computer than the 13" MBP, it can be done :p

But personally, I'd keep the i7 for your video work.

9. Pracht macrumors member

The SSD will be very good for latency (how fast your system will be able to find the data you are looking for) and transfer rate (how fast it will come to you when you find it).

Both of those will have significant advantages with video editing. Once again, I don't have one, so I can't say from personal experience.

I absolutely want an SSD, but they are *VERY* expensive for relative low storage sizes.

Perhaps you could get a 13" with 8 gb ram and a SSD, then get an external hard drive (I have a 1 tb) to keep most of your data on? That would probably handle video editing (in iMovie, don't think about Final Cut!) very well

10. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Yeah, I think that getting a 13" with an SSD would be a good investment.

However, when you are doing video editing, see how much CPU your computer is using. If it doesn't hit 100%, then the C2D in the MBP 13" can do it.

11. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

Re:

I disagree with pracht. I find video editing is terrific. I can run Adobe Premier as well as After Effects at the same time. Kills my battery, but the performance is great!

12. miata macrumors 6502

Check out what AnandTech has to say on the matter. Video encoding is one area where the i5/i7 in the 15/17 have a distrinct advantage over the C2D in the 13.

13. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

RAM doesn't help out in video editing as much as SSD's and faster processors. I use Final Cut Studio all the time being a young amateur film maker. I find that the portability of the machine and about 2 inches less is perfect for me. If you know what you are doing with your codecs and not working on the next Avatar or Gran Torino you will be fine.

AppleTech22

14. kamalds macrumors regular

I am a fairly new Macbook Pro 13" user and I find video editing a joy. I use iMovie for video editing.

15. Pracht, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  16. Pracht macrumors member

I can only speak from my experience with the base 13" pro. Perhaps i experience less than ideal results because I'm dealing with usually a TON of files (audio, video, stills, animations, etc) and usually with 720p hd video.

Is yours the base 13 or the upgraded one?

Do you use iMovie as well? Maybe that's where the issue lies

17. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Sony Vegas Pro in boot camp. :D

Sure, it's a Windows app but the thing runs on damn near any hardware - even my lowly macbook with intel graphics.