Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robes1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2016
I'm wondering how the battery life on your 12 is?

I currently have a XR, and want to know if there's a big difference in battery life between the two. I know the 12 will probably be a little better, but I'm wondering if it's a big difference. I've seen videos claiming there is a big difference, and others saying that the 12 is similar in battery life to the XR and 11.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
Compared to the iPhone 11 my 12 Pro is mildly worse (very close though). The biggest thing is we don’t have an official Smart Battery Case option any longer, i am actually considering selling my 12 pro to downgrade to an 11Pro so I can make it through a workday.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've been reading that the 12 and 12 Pro are both worse than their 11 and 11 Pro counterparts. I also have a XR and am considering upgrading to a standard 12 when whatever gets announced this fall gets announced. I'd also love to hear from people that have owned either the XR or the standard 11 for their take. Certainly a battery life downgrade from the XR would turn me off to the idea.

That said, I could absolutely see 5G as a battery drain (especially since this is first generation 5G that we're talking about here).

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
I went from a 2 year old Xs max to a regular 12, and felt the battery in the 12 was slightly better than the xs max when it was new, and quite better than it being two years old.

The xs max and Xr should be comparable, in terms of battery life, it I remember correctly. I felt the 12 being WAY better than the X though

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
The XR that I recently traded in for the 12 was noticeably better. A rather large difference I would say.

I’m hoping a software update will change that.

robes1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2016
The XR that I recently traded in for the 12 was noticeably better. A rather large difference I would say.

I’m hoping a software update will change that.

Just to confirm, the XR was noticeably better than the 12? What ios was the XR running?

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Arguably, 11 - Xr - 12/12Pro from best to worst. The 11 has more mAh than the XR but there have been tests that show the Xr can out last it in some situations. The 12Pro isn’t hours worse, but from my experience it’s definitely noticeable. Can still get through a day with light to medium usage. Heavy days will require some extra juice.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Regular 12 slightly worse than XR in terms of battery life I would say. Enough to be noticeable id say. But still robust enough to last the whole day under heavy use and a world away from iPhones of a few years ago pre XR

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Follow up… My battery life has been much better over the past three or four days.

I unpaired my AirTag about two weeks ago. At that point, Find My stopped running all the time, but my battery was still draining unusually fast.

Everything seems good now. No idea why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.