Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I just got my iPhone 5S replacement from the Apple Store.

The (very nice) Genius did a full diagnostic on my old iPhone 5S and told me that the actual battery is fine, it was just having major software issues and crashes. I was surprised because I hadn't been experiencing many crashes or issues with it. He asked if I had set up the iPhone as a new one and not restored from a backup, I set up all my apple devices as new whenever I restore. He told me that I should be getting around 8 hours of battery life, to which I replied I would be really happy with the phone if it lasted that long.

He replaced it for me anyway because Applecare had already authorised it, so hopefully this new one lasts like it should

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Mine improved all of a sudden from 2 days back on its own ... :rolleyes: ... seems linked to iPad Mini release timing for some reason .. :p

IMAGE_18.png

cosmicastronaut

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
My old 4 got usage times of at least 6 hrs even after almost 2 yrs! Not much of an improvement with my 5s it seems :(

Wifi ON (connected half the time @ home) HSPA+ at work
Bluetooth ON
App Refresh OFF
Auto Brightness ON set around 30%
Moderate to heavy texting throughout the day
Few short calls during the day
Use a few location based apps throughout the day

IMG_0386.PNG

I hope Apple can improve it with an update. Wish I would get another hr or two at least.

edanza

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Comparing to those getting 7 hours and above, mine seems pretty bad. This is a replacement phone since the first one has some logic board problem. The first phone can survived for about 7++ hours with the same setting and the same amount of usage. I've called the Apple Care Support and the best thing they can tell me was to restore the phone as new and I did. But nothing's changed. So I brought it to an Apple Store and they said my battery is fine. But they did restore my phone again as new. As expected, nothing's changed. I am very disappointed with this and try to teach myself for not expecting too high from Apple.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    71.7 KB · Views: 97

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
Comparing to those getting 7 hours and above, mine seems pretty bad. This is a replacement phone since the first one has some logic board problem. The first phone can survived for about 7++ hours with the same setting and the same amount of usage. I've called the Apple Care Support and the best thing they can tell me was to restore the phone as new and I did. But nothing's changed. So I brought it to an Apple Store and they said my battery is fine. But they did restore my phone again as new. As expected, nothing's changed. I am very disappointed with this and try to teach myself for not expecting too high from Apple.

I'm basically in the same boat as you

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
My battery is pretty great on the 5s anywhere from 8-12 hours on a full charge with normal use. Few calls a day, streaming podcast and music, constantly on Flipboard(love that app.) and other random apps. I'll still have 15-20% left even at that point.

9ysasutu.jpg

diebote

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
My battery is pretty great on the 5s, amazing how long it's stand...I live in the Netherlands by the way.....:D:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 93

iWooz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
not that good...

Just some web browsing, whatsapp, facebook, photos, 2-3 short youtube videos

Does this look normal to you? Or is the battery broken?

Attachments

• IMG_0096[1].PNG
    IMG_0096[1].PNG
    77.3 KB · Views: 95

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
Looks like you might have some background things going on or maybe poor signal. Do you leave a lot of apps open?

iWooz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Looks like you might have some background things going on or maybe poor signal. Do you leave a lot of apps open?

What do you mean by background things? I completely disabled background app refresh.
And I close apps regularly.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
That's what I meant. I know sometimes we have ghost apps in the software though.
My first 4s would drain the battery with nothing going on even in standby. Took it to apple and all they said was something was staying on and draining battery but it couldn't be pin-pointed, even with everything off.

Doesn't get warm/hot by chance does it?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
My battery sucks this cycle :( Unfortunately had to unplug it on Saturday before it was fully charged, but it seems I got better use out of that partial charge than I am getting out of this one now...

N e e k

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
What are your settings? Leaving apps running/open?

Unless it's Pandora or some other apps that ACTUALLY run in the background, leaving apps "open" does nothing to impact battery life. This has been discussed and proven.

----------

Not bad for today... All LTE, no wifi.

bu6e8esu.jpg

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Facebook, Instagram and a few other apps are very battery hungry, so if anyone's getting what appears to be poorer battery life compared to others, this may be the cause.

iWooz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Facebook, Instagram and a few other apps are very battery hungry, so if anyone's getting what appears to be poorer battery life compared to others, this may be the cause.

Does your statement apply
[ ] if you actively use these apps often
[ ] if you use them rarely, but never close them
[ ] if you don't even open them (for example facebook messenger, whatsapp, etc still get notifications if the app is closed)

?

Furthermore: Is there an app that displays the CPU utilization of each app/process? (With the assumption that cpu utilization is mostly proportional to power consumption)

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Does your statement apply
[ ] if you actively use these apps often
[ ] if you use them rarely, but never close them
[ ] if you don't even open them (for example facebook messenger, whatsapp, etc still get notifications if the app is closed)

?

Furthermore: Is there an app that displays the CPU utilization of each app/process? (With the assumption that cpu utilization is mostly proportional to power consumption)

It's only from what I've found, so it's not fact. And there are a few battery apps that tell you usage consumption, and these are always top of the list. The statement was based on if you use them regularly.

I managed to get decent standby on my 5s using just text messages, wifi browsing and a brief phone call.
nyqane2y.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.