How's Your Radio Shack Experience?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aygwm, Jul 7, 2010.

1. aygwm macrumors member

I decided to buy the new iPhone to take advantage of their buy back program for old iPhones. I was diligent, working daily before the manager before launch to insure first day arrival. I was constantly told that stock levels were good. Well...the phone still hasn't arrived. From what I can tell, Radio Shack has received very few phones. I'm curious to know if others are still waiting for their Radio Shack orders? They've been professional, but I miss the love from the Apple stores. They seem quite apathetic.

2. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

You could sell your old iPhone for more than RadioShack is offering. Just buy one from AT&T, BB or the Apple Store.

3. Set845 macrumors regular

Well the manager shouldn't have told you stock levels were good. How could he have known that? I was able to get two 32GB phones and one 16GB on launch day. I was first to sign up for a reservation. The manager opened the store an hour earlier to activate them and I was done in an hour. He told me about thirty people signed up for reservation PiNs and only four phones showed up and I got the first three. One for me, one for my daughter for her birthday (yay), and one for my buddy. The manager never told me he knew how many iPhones were comming in. In fact up until the day before the launch he told me he couldn't promise any phones would come in and he couldn't say if any would be available in the foreseeable future. But he was very professional and I knew that if any phones arrived he would at least not screw it up. Both me and my buddy traded our 3G iPhones for 100.00 each. I know I could have gotten more but I didn't want the hassle. Besides my buddies iPhone was broken, the screen was not responding to touch. All in all it was a dream experience, no waiting in lines, quick activation, and a semi decent buy back plan.

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You could add $20 to the crappy prices that Radio Shack offers and sell your phone on Craigslist within a few hours, then go to the Apple Store and Best Buy and try to get a phone.

Or, you could actually sell your phone for what it's WORTH which is a lot more, though it may take a little longer.

5. Set845 macrumors regular

Agreed, but I didn't have the funds to put up for two iPhones on or around launch day, so it actually worked out well for me. Let's not forget my buddies phone. Could he have gotten $100.00 for his broken iPhone 3G anywhere else?

6. agjake01 macrumors regular

I'm looking at the Shack and elsewhere for an IP4 here in my hometown, will buy the first one in stock. The Shack only offered me $80 for my 3G and I sold it for $185 on CL last night. FYI

7. bottarga macrumors newbie

8. Justibackwardsn macrumors member

I work at The Shack and I feel your pain. I live in a small college town and pre-ordered an 32gb iPhone. I was the only person within 50 miles to pre-order from Radio Shack, but still no word on when or IF it will arrive.

The pre-ordering process at Radio Shack was not exactly a pre-order at all, and no one in higher management seemed to make that clear. The pre-order was more of a flagging system telling our distributer that we have a customer wanting an iPhone. In our system, we would gather the customer's information and then sell a sku linked to the iPhone reservation. The computer would then call our distributer and request a pin linked to our iPhone supply. Sadly, there was no direct linage to the amount of our iPhone supply and the amount of pins to be sold. We use a MUCH better system for most of our phone pre-orders. It is an online tool that reserves a phone and gives the associate the IMEI or DEC number to the phone. This normally requires a deposit. Since our supplier did not have the iPhones stocked on the 15th, there was no possibility to use that system.

Every retailer offering the iPhone well underestimated the demand, but Apple is mainly to blame for that. Personally, I think Apple's plan to launch in more countries in a relatively short amount of time has A LOT to do with the shortage.

Another issue to the lack of supply at Radio Shack is the lack of communication from Apple. We took pre-orders for the white iPhones. Being a constant MR, MMI, and AppleInsider reader, I knew that the white ones wouldn't be available at launch. Once I saw it in the system that day, I immediately text our AT&T rep and told him about the mixup hoping he would send out a mass email to all the stores explaining that and to inform the customers that it wouldn't be available the 24th. He had to call Apple to confirm. I'm sure if anyone higher up would have known this, it would have been made clear... maybe... Best Buy had the same problem. My ex is the wireless manager at the local Best Buy, and he had to call customers back later to inform them that their white pre-order was a mistake.

In my book, Wal-Mart was the only retailer that had the best launch. That's only because the company didn't accept any pre-orders.

Things should be better next time the an iPhone launches. Everyone will know what they are in for.

I figured all of this out the 21st and decided to just order the phone from the Apple Store App. It said that it would ship by the 14th of July and arrive by the 19th. It shipped the 5th of July from the manufacturer in China with an estimated delivery of the 13th. I've been tracking it and I'm thinking it will be delivered tomorrow. :)

If I were you, I would just order from Apple as well. You'll spend less time worrying IF you'll get an iphone. It may take longer to get one than scavenging, but I think it's worth it.

In all, the company is a trustworthy company but it needs a MAJOR renovation in practices and policies. That's a personally opinion and a different topic though.

And you're right. I wouldn't hold a job at Best Buy. I'd refuse to do the morning cheer. ;-)

9. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Justi,

I'm still waiting for an iPhone 4 from Radio Shack.

Thing is, none of the 5 stores in my immediate area
    received an iPhone on launch day or since.

Yet, call them and the phone is answered as "Thank
    You for calling Radio Shack home of the iPhone 4."

The only reason I am still dependent on Radio Shack
    is because of their trade-in program. I can trade in
    my 3GS and get a $200 discount. Much better than
    trying to sell my phone on eBay or CraigsList.

The problem now is, time is running out on the
    trade-in program which ends in 11 days. I don't
    think Radio Shack is going to get new iPhone stock
    in that timeframe -- at least on Radio Shack manager
    confidentially indicated such.

I cannot believe how bad Radio Shack came out
    in this iPhone deal. They promoted themselves
    at "Home of the iPhone 4" yet most stores never
    received a single phone nor do they seem to be
    due to receive any time soon.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

This isn't a knock against the employees of RS - but when it came to the iPhone 4 launch/etc - they were either FOS, given bad data or were just in the dark and hopeful.

I called a few RS here in NYC and only one was doing pre-orders. The others were first-come, first-served. I put myself on the list and stopped by the day before launch. The rep told me that they aren't doing pre-orders now - that it's first come first served. But not to worry because they were getting plenty. I said - I know you can't tell me how many - but if I got in line and saw 15 people - should I go to another one. He said - If there were more than 10 people - you might want to take your chances at another store. He told me where another one was nearby which was going to get MORE units because they had greater sales overall. He said they were opening at 7am. When I got there in the AM - there were about 9 people on line. And someone had gone in after me and said they were now opening at 8, not 7.

A person walked up after me and had been to the other store the guy mentioned and said NO one was on line there. So I hightailed it over there (better to be 2-3rd person in line vs 9th). I was 2nd in line.

The store that had "more" only got 4 units. I was lucky enough to get one of them. I bought a 32gig (even though I had wanted a 16gig) because there was a kid behind me with his mother who was getting the phone since he got all A's this year so far.

Anyway - when I was in the store - the woman told me that in NYC - they had like (I don't remember the # - but it wasn't high) 200 iPhones that came into the district and were given out based on store sales. So at most, a few stores got 6 - many got 2-4 and several got none at all.

And from what I've heard - stores are getting 1 or 2 now every "once in awhile"

11. puggles macrumors regular

Mine got one for me on the 25th but i already had bought one from apple so i told them to sell it to someone else.

12. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

The worst is when they take all your life information just to buy a battery or something.

Plus they still only sell Tandy products, right?

Radio (aka "The") Shack had some terrible historical practices that really killed their reputation over the years. If this was their last chance to restore their reputation, they blew it.