Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Bought mine the week they came out. 1.2Ghz 512Gb Space Gray.

651 cycles. 77% battery capacity.

Left shift key doesn't work. Left half of spacebar is collapsed and doesn't work. I have Applecare so I'll have the battery replaced and the two keys replaced all at the same time.

All in all, very satisfied. Screen is crystal clear. Powerful enough for me. I'd buy it again.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I got mine two months ago although the original owner (ghsNick, though I bought it from jfrancis04 who was the second owner) bought it sometime in December last year. The battery's still going good at 153 cycles, and I haven't had any issues with it. Until recently I was having problems with USB 3 drives being recognized but updating to Sierra completely fixed that. Cosmetically it's pretty good aside from the upper right corner of the screen being slightly bent (landed top down on my wood floor, and funnily enough the floor took a bigger hit than the laptop did).

When I got this to replace my 13" 2012 cMBP I was a little worried that I would start feeling disenchanted after a short while, but I honestly haven't noticed much of a performance difference with what I do (browsing, listening to music, playing the occasional Doom session and doing some audio encoding) and the size and weight make it an excellent computer to tote around the house.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Got my 12" m7 in May.
Battery health at 91,3% according to CoconutBattery (maximum charge at 5067 mAh, cycle count 137)
Holding up quite well except the Tab-key has collapsed in the bottom right corner.

This would not be a problem if it weren't for the fact that there are no authorised repair-shops nearby.
-the closest one is a twelve hours drive away.
The real kick in the balls here is that Apple simply refuses to send me a return-box so they can fix it for me.
They state that they don't have the facilities to complete the repair.
...what now?
There is am authorised repair-shop I can ship the Mac to, but that would mean shipping the Mac with the Norwegian Post who only insure packages with a value up to 10.000 Norwegian Kroner (just above half the value of the Mac), which is completely out of the question.

I'm currently manning up to give them a proper stern talking to, I'm not going to sit here with a 18.000 Norwegian Kroner (2200$) computer with a shoddy Tab-key.

Apart from that little blemish (the key still works, so it's just a nuisance) I absolutely love this computer.
What has really surprised me is how capable it is of playing computer games.
-Mass Effect 2-3, Dead Space 1-2, Dead Rising, Dawn of War 2 and Skyrim all run really well.
I wasn't expecting that, so it's nice little boon.

thisMRguy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
bought end of June 2016, battery at 90% (coconut),
'enter' and '7' '=' 'capslock' keys starting to feel sticky.
trackpad froze 3-4 times requiring a hard reboot.
GPU/screen glitch a few times, i assume this is driver related.

other than that its a good machine

christ0pher

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Good! Bought 26/04/16 (m7/256GB), just updated to Sierra. Everything seems to be running smoothly.

Coconut battery says 96.7% at 62 cycles (leave it plugged in most of the time). Tab button feels a bit sticky, but no machine can be perfect.

ndolebay

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
Got one last month, Just adapted to the small screen. Planning to buy a 4k display for it, how about dell P2415q?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I bought second hand rMB12, 512GB, 2015 version. Got it pretty cheap. It's about 14 months old now, but I have Apple Care.

Battery is holding good so far, 92% after 174 cycles. So no problems there.

But like many, I have keyboard issue. Left and right brackets are falling out, lots of key stucks, etc. And simply can't send it to repair at the moment, since this is the only mac I've got, and I use it for work. I'm gonna purchase mac mini in a month or two, then I'm gonna send my macbook to get repaired.

But if the problem comes back, I'm gonna sell it and move back to rMBP. It's really a great little machine, I absolutely love it. And typing on it is ok from the start, but the problems with the keyboard are pretty annoying.

PsychicRutabaga

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Minnesota
I ordered my 1.2Ghz 512Gb rMB 2015 within days of Apple offering for purchase and received it June 01, 2015.
Absolutely wonderful computer. No issues whatsoever that i can report and I use it pretty much daily. Keyboard is still flawless. My wife started borrowing it from time to time and liked it so much she ordered a 2016 M5 model. That was good, don't have to share anymore! :p

I don't use CoconutBattery, but here are the stats from the system report. I usually leave it plugged in.

Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 4648
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4817

Health Information:
Cycle Count: 59
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 8589

Queen6

macrumors G4
Bought mine the week they came out. 1.2Ghz 512Gb Space Gray.

651 cycles. 77% battery capacity.

Left shift key doesn't work. Left half of spacebar is collapsed and doesn't work. I have Applecare so I'll have the battery replaced and the two keys replaced all at the same time.

All in all, very satisfied. Screen is crystal clear. Powerful enough for me. I'd buy it again.

Sorry that`s tragic for what I expect of Apple`s quality, problem being that the more people continue accept less, the less Apple will deliver. Premium pricing, premium hardware is expected; KB is bust and the battery not even close to Apple`s 1K.

Would I buy again with the same = NO, we should expect more not less...

Q-6

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Sorry that`s tragic for what I expect of Apple`s quality, problem being that the more people continue accept less, the less Apple will deliver. Premium pricing, premium hardware is expected; KB is bust and the battery not even close to Apple`s 1K.

Would I buy again with the same = NO, we should expect more not less...

Q-6

I respectfully disagree. This was at the time cutting edge hardware. Butterfly keyboard mechanism. Smallest retina display. Thinnest notebook in the world. Ever. I expected there to be some initial issues and there have been. So far it's been 18 months and I never had to take it in to the shop. When I do I'll get a new battery and new keys. Back to new. That's the price of new technology.

Then again, I bought a Tesla P85 three and a half years ago. Same story. This computer has had less problems than the Model S but again, I went in completely understanding what I was getting into.

To each his own.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I respectfully disagree. This was at the time cutting edge hardware. Butterfly keyboard mechanism. Smallest retina display. Thinnest notebook in the world. Ever. I expected there to be some initial issues and there have been. So far it's been 18 months and I never had to take it in to the shop. When I do I'll get a new battery and new keys. Back to new. That's the price of new technology.

Then again, I bought a Tesla P85 three and a half years ago. Same story. This computer has had less problems than the Model S but again, I went in completely understanding what I was getting into.

To each his own.

This is exactly why we the consumer suffer poor quality - people accept it...

Q-6

Reactions: Wackery

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
This is exactly why we the consumer suffer poor quality - people accept it...

Q-6

It's also exactly why we have innovation. Early adopters trade the initial growing pains for the joy of using new technology first while the masses enjoy the stabilized final product at reduced prices later in the product cycle.

archi_130w1

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2016
I got a very nice deal on ebay for a lightly used 2016 m7 512 to tie me over after my 2010 MBP died. (still waiting to see what the next MBPr release will yield).
Sadly... I think this has helped me come to the realization that I am not as much of a mobile power user as I thought.
I have it bootcamped and I run Revit and AutoCAD there, have a few lighter games installed, I remote in to work with ease, the single port has never been an issue.... honestly, I love it... the keyboard still takes a little getting used to but meh....
The lack of fan noise and portability is icing on the cake.

Reactions: c0ppo

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I just got a new rmb :)!

Quick question, I didn't purchase apple care+ (yet).

I know I have a year to add that, but I wanted to know if there are any issues with the machine (like sticking keys, battery, etc. that were mentioned above), will those be covered under the regular warranty?

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Purchased mine October 2015, no issues whatsoever.

Absolutely love this laptop, been using Apple products for 12 years now and this is easily Apples best product to date.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Coming from a SysEngineer/admin ... I had the 2015 1.2ghz 512mb... loved it. iPad was released, sold the 2015 and tried to replace it with the iPad and a good ssh client. But... need my bash command line and developer tools (locally). Sold the iPad, and bought the 2016 m5 space gray 512mb (in May). Treating me well since then. Love this machine... perfect blend of portability and power. My MacBook is a powerful UNIX workstation that runs MacOS as well. And Parallels... with Windows 10 and my beloved PowerShell for "the other side" ... :D no hardware issues at all. Solid little performer.

Reactions: asfalloth

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It's also exactly why we have innovation. Early adopters trade the initial growing pains for the joy of using new technology first while the masses enjoy the stabilized final product at reduced prices later in the product cycle.
That would be true if we were to see a continuous improvement plan between year models and significant price changes, don't hold your breath with Apple they will flog it to death outside of chip ugrades

Reactions: Queen6

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Did you write 651 cycles?

I've had my MacBook 1.2 since day one, use it almost every day on battery for about four hours and only have 189 cycles/599 days.

How are you getting all those cycles?

Only problem I've had is getting very small crumbs under space bar key preventing it from being properly pressed. I had to blow them out.

I am at the point with some development that I've maxed my machine out with VMWare running Win 10 and will probably buy the 13" Pro if it truely is as thin and light as the rumors indicate.

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 10.03.33 AM.png

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Keyboard issues do seem really to be a common problem with the rMB. Personally I bought 2 in 2015 when they first came out and returned both due to QC issues related to specific keys on the keyboard straight out of the box.

I waited for the 2016 model, and have not personally had anything go wrong so far. The only issue is once or twice I've had some debris get stuck under an individual key. This was easily resolved with compressed air/shaking.

However, I do not doubt that many of you are experiencing keyboard problems. While I love the new keyboard and enjoy using it about equally as much as my MBP, it's hard to say I feel confident in its durability or longevity. The keys just don't feel like they'll last 5+ years. I do have an extended Squaretrade warranty on my laptop just in case. Seems highly recommendable to purchase a warranty for the rMB if for no other reason than the potential keyboard issues in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.