HOWTO: add client log-in & account functionality to a commercial site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sk3pt1c, Sep 4, 2009.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Hi there i have a client that wants this functionality on their site,
    ie for their clients to be able to sign up for an account, create a profile, be able to upload files to a folder unique to them and see updates on the process of their orders and so on...
    Is there a software package i can find to add to the site that implements
    similar functionality? Perhaps one you've had experience with and can reccomend?

Thanks

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The part I'm not sure about regarding your request is if your current commercial site is e-commerce capable with database controlled inventory and transaction support. Or do you need to take a basic commercial site with static pages and turn it into a fully featured e-commerce site with user login and order processing?

-jim

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

It's not an e-commerce site, it's basically a print company that wants to allow its clients to sign up, create a "profile" with their information, upload for example some photoshop files that their graphic designer may have prepared and maybe have access to a page that would show them the cost and progress of their order...
    Was that clear enough, i hope i'm making sense :)

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Thanks!

You might to want to look into combining Ubercart with Drupal CMS. Drupal takes care of your login, profile and general content needs with nice theme support, and a module is used to seamlessly integrate Ubercart. Ubercart handles everything from order processing and editing to payment processing, shipping, reports and much more, says me.

Says Ubercart promo material:

"This is a killer combination for anyone looking to build a community around a product, sell access to premium content, offer paid file downloads, and much more, all while maintaining a seamless connection to your users."

Drupal
    Ubercart
    Drupal module to integrate Ubercart into Drupal

Shouldn't be too hard to migrate content into this type of system, plus it's open source and cost effective. Beyond any other suggestions posed by others, without knowing your exact infrastructure and legacy requirements the usual advice is to hire a consult to help you determine what you need. They typically do a gap analysis charting what ya got, what ya want, and what it takes to get there.

Hope this helps and that I understood you correctly!

-jim

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

I'm adraid i have to figure this out by myself and find a reasonable cost effective solution that i can implement myself or scrap the whole thing because the company's budget is quite limited. The thing is that there already is a design for the site created so the ideal solution would be to incorporate the sign up/log in feature into it... i guess i could just link to it and have it in a subfolder of the site and customize the CMS's look to sort of look like the actual site design...
    The ideal thing though would be for the signup/login and subsequent profile/upload/order status info to be contained within the main content area of the site...
    But if that's not feasible i can just install a cms and link to it as i said...

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Anything is feasable, with the right tools. As you reply we're learning more which will help us help you. I still kinda stick to my answer because it's not too hard to integrate graphics into an existing Drupal theme, and there are tons of themes out there which have multitudes of block setups, static and fluid layouts, and so on - so just pick something close in the layout, modify the templates, then copy the content over. Drupal allows custom profile fields and blocks as well, you can even optionally embed PHP in blocks or write your own modules.

Otherwise, please wait for other responses, someone else might have an idea ten times better!

-jim

7. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Yeah, looks like that's the most feasible solution, link to a customized cms that's made to look like the main site.
    Unless someone else posts a different solution as you said :)
    thanks a million!:)