HOWTO: Any 8800 in old Mac Pro! [Windows]

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cindori, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

This was edited 2009/06/12 to only include instructions for powering a graphic card from the second superdrive.

Anyway, here is what you need.

1x split molex(?) cable, available in pretty much any computer store
    http://www2.multithread.co.uk/mtcsh...cts/Power_Splitter_Cable_-_2_x_Molex_main.jpg

2x of these cables, that comes with your card
    http://www.com-tra.de/img/p/06759_o.jpg

What we are going to do is taking power from the DVD-ROM unit. It will not affect the performance of it, and the card will have enough power.

EDIT: my images got deleted, here are another users:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7397574&postcount=15

2. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

3. aibo macrumors 6502

i know you put some time into this write-up, but it's ultimately useless because:

-everyone already knows you can use PC graphics cards in a mac pro under windows
    -no one wants to switch graphics cards every time they change the OS
    these PC cards will never be flashable to OS X compatibility because they don't use EFI.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Actually that is not true really. PCs with EFI style motherboards can run standard PC graphics cards. The only requirement for EFI is in the specific Mac ROM which is what you are flashing to the card anyway.

5. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

Hm yeah the point of flashing is giving them EFI rom :)

I just hope it will work with GTX... xD

And maybe everyone knows that, I just thought id make a simple guide that doesnt require any special orders etc :cool:

Also, I forgot. If you got a NEW Mac pro, you will have 2 x 16 slots. Therefore put your radeon 2600 or gf 7300 or whatever in slot1, and a monster card like this in slot2. You can then boot OSX will no problem and you can use the monster card fully as there will be drivers out in a few days.

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro 8800

Thank-you for that guide - I should hope that Apple have a slightly 'cleaner' approach to the extra power cable, but it was a nice read. Thanks for taking the time to make this :)

F

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to agree with aibo here. There have been threads since the Mac Pro's launch about putting the 8800 Series into the Mac Pro under Windows.

Any chance you can avoid that cable mess with this?

8. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

:D!

Ye with apples 8800 you will get a cable to hook it up on the motherboard.

But there is always a kick from doing it the hard way : )

Eido: as I said,

"anyway here is a update on how you can provide power supply to the card + closing the side door without having to buy a special cable for 30$ like some ppl have"

and if you look at my update reply I dont think it's messy :p

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Please make a MacRumors guide then. I believe it's well worth the $30 in order not to have a cable mess trying to use molex cables for power, a second computer, or an external power supply.

10. slackpacker macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

Dude don't be a Killjoy... I wanted to use a worse word word but I'm nice.

DONT fault the GUY for POSTING this is GREAT INFO. Not Evryone wants to do what you want. Dont be selfish

11. aibo macrumors 6502

whatever dude. if you need a writeup and illustrated guide on how to plug in a molex splitter, i don't know what to say. i'm baffled at how this is "great info" to you.

12. thagomizer macrumors 6502

13. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Any international source for us Non-USA members? ATI USA doesn't ship international.

14. freejazz-man macrumors regular

Does anyone have copies of the pictures on how to power the GPU from the secondary DVD drive?

Right now I can't flash my card because I don't have enough power! I don't have another computer to use it in beside my 1,1 mac pro :(

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I wasn't able to get enough slack to get the cable through so I had to do it frankenstein style with the case open. In case anyone is curious (I did not know this at first). Just unlock the latch on the case and you can pull the Optical bays right out! Then the cables are a snap to find... unless you are blind.