Howto backtrack5 on usb-stick mac os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drenriza, Jun 26, 2011.

1. drenriza macrumors newbie

Hi all. Im trying to make a verbatim 4GB usb stick able to boot on MacBook Pro startup. So far i'm not having much luck. I have tried to partition my stick as follows

#using the build in distUtil (GUI)
    #partitionen as a single partition (Mac OS extended (journal))
    #properties (selected Apple partition overview) also tried all others.
    #putted my ISO file on the stick
    #rebooted the MacBook Pro
    #holding down option button

but i don't see my usb stick. What am i doing wrong?

Hope someone can help me

2. simsaladimbamba

#4 is the wrong one, as an .iso file is just an image, it isn't bootable. You need to mount the .iso file via double click, then use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the mounted .iso file to the stick.

3. drenriza thread starter macrumors newbie

so i should first mount the iso file?

sudo mount /path/to/iso /dev/something and then use this program? is that correct understood?

4. simsaladimbamba

You don't need to mount the .iso first I guess, and no need to involve Terminal, as double clicking a disk image like .iso would mount it too, but in CarbonCopyCloner you can just select RESTORE FROM DISK IMAGE and select the .iso, and then as target select your USB flash memory thumb drive.

5. drenriza thread starter macrumors newbie

When i go to the program, and select a source -> disk image -> navigate to the iso. It's grayed out so i cannot select it :(

6. simsaladimbamba

Oh, maybe it only works with .dmg files.
    Then just double click the .iso file to mount it (if properly mounted, it should be visible in the Finder's Sidebar) and then select that as your SOURCE in CCC.

7. drenriza thread starter macrumors newbie

it says that, ccc required that the source and target volumes are formatted as HFS+

Not rly sure what to do here.

8. simsaladimbamba

9. drenriza thread starter macrumors newbie

it's backtrack 5. A customized Ubuntu operating system. Never heard of HFS+ before

10. simsaladimbamba

Ah, sorry. Didn't know "backtrack5" was a version of Ubuntu.
    HFS+ is another name for "Mac OS Extended", the file system (format) you chose to format the USB flash memory thumb drive with, as noted in your first post.
    GUID is the partition map scheme for Mac OS X related HDDs and SSDs, to be properly bootable by a Mac.

I don't know, if you can install a Linux variant from a USB flash memory thumb drive formatted with GUID as partition map scheme and HFS+/Mac OS Extended as file system (format), as Linux uses another file system called "ext3" and I don't know what partition map scheme it uses to be bootable.
    Have you asked at a Linux orientated forum or where you got "backtrack5" on how to properly "burn" that .iso file to a USB flash memory thumb drive? Can't you burn it to a DVD or CD via Disk Utility?
    How To Make Copies of DVDs