Resolved HOWTO: Burn a LiON DVD on a Windows PC

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Novecento, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Novecento, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

Novecento macrumors member

Hey folks,

what started as a thread seeking for help I now convert to a HOWTO: Burn a LiON DVD on a Windows PC.

For all of those who don't have a DVD burner in their Mac or don't have a USB (flash) drive at hand or simply want to use some of those now-useless DVD-Rs they have lying around here's what you need to do:

1. Copy the InstallESD.dmg from the Lion Installer.app someplace eg /tmp
    2. Open terminal.app and type in the following command

hdiutil convert -format UDTO /tmp/InstallESD.dmg -o /tmp/Lion.iso

3. rename Lion.iso.cdr to Lion.iso
    4. Copy it to a Windows PC
    5. Burn with ImgBurn ( ww.imgburn.com ), a Single Layer 4,7GB DVD-R is enough

Note: don't burn too fast otherwise your Mac might not want to boot from the disc - at least that's what bugged me the first time I tried :)

2. stewacide macrumors regular

You can restore the .dmg to a partition on your Macbook, and install from that.

E.g. Shrink your main partition and create a ~6GB HFS+ partition, restore the install .dmg to that, and then boot off that partition.

3. Novecento, Jul 14, 2011

Novecento thread starter macrumors member

4. Novecento, Jul 14, 2011

Novecento thread starter macrumors member

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Try opening it in Disk Utility, convert to DVD/CD master without encryption nor compression. Rename .cdr to .iso and try burning that in Nero instead of ImgBurn (using HFS as type). It's an old trick but might work with this one.

Why not just buy a new usb flash drive and restore to that? An 8GB one is what $10?