Howto: Grab 1425x1425px artwork from iTunes' servers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoshPowell, Sep 9, 2007.

1. JoshPowell macrumors newbie

1. Use http://www.thejosher.net/iTunes/ :)

It's that simple :D

Just updated it. It appears that apple has put unencrypted artwork back online for some albums.. though I'm not really sure which. It appears that the majority of new releases are available as well as a lot of the more popular older releases.

Anyhow, the 1425x1425 quality is just stunning. I don't think there is another site, aside from user-scanned hosts, that comes close to that.

Here's an example:
    [​IMG]

Hope you guys find it useful :)

2. rbroady macrumors regular

bookmarked!

Thanks!

edit: i just typed in tom petty and nothing found?
    looks like they need some updating

3. JoshPowell thread starter macrumors newbie

You'll need to type in both the artist and album name.. this is using the update-album-artwork URL rather than the search-iTunes URL.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Wow, great! Thanks JoshPowell! This is exactly what I have been looking for for a long time.

5. jockmock macrumors regular

what resolution is it on the covers you get when you press get artwork in itunes?

6. JoshPowell thread starter macrumors newbie

600x600 on all the ones I've tried.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks for the website! :)

So I understand that, based on the method you're using, you require exact, character for character names as they appear in iTunes?

I tried a few purchased tracks (so I know the names match) off my recently purchased list... the results were variable. The first one came back around 900x900 (R. Kelly, Remix City Volume 1). The second at 600x600 (Alkaline Trio, Crimson). The third album I tried (Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus) didn't work with any of several different combinations to try to match the way it's entered in iTunes (it's a weird case...iTunes lists the artist as "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus" for the album, with only one each of her two names listed for any given track (the second disc is Meet Miley Cyrus). Etc.

Anyway, one small suggestion. If you can make it so that the artist/album fields are prepopulated with the previous attempt when there's a failure, this would make it much easier to try and change it slightly and get it to run. Depending on your 1337 coding skills, keeping track of successful album requests and/or using the search feature to identify suggestions (you can't use it to get the artwork, but you can use it to get the right listing artist/album combo) might be even better.

8. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

9. Cheesecake macrumors member

This is very interesting, I just wish iTunes had more covers from the stuff I actually listened to.

10. JoshPowell thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really.. I'm not sure what the requirement is, but there does seem to be some leeway. For long artists/album titles for example, you can abbreviate them and it'll still find the artwork.

I think the problem is the multiple artists thing.. I haven't found a way to look up compilations, etc.. I think somebody figured out a way to do it but I honestly don't remember.

Yes! Believe it or not I had that before but changed some variable names which I forgot to update. Fixed.

Not that l33t :p Keeping track of album requests would likely require a mysql (or just some) database, which I've neglected learning :p

Haven't messed around with the search yet.

ALSO, I found a way to get thumbnails! And this works on albums even when the full sized artwork isn't available for some reason.

In addition, I might have found a way to get 600x600 artwork for the entire store. It'll take quite a bit of coding though, as of now it's using an entirely different method than I have now. (slightly more complicated for the end user.. but what can ya do?) Stay tuned :)

edit: Nope, scratch that ^^. The artwork that gives 404s now is still not available. It still might be worth coding though, as it lets you copy the iTunes store URL for an album and get the artwork for that, which will help solve the various-artists problem.

edit2: If anybody can figure out how to get the artwork for the artwork that ends up in 404s by modifying the URL let me know :p I've updated the script to give you the unparsed URL if you want to play around with it.

ALSO

I stuck up the new method for looking up albums.. you can copy the iTunes store URL and use that instead of the search. As an added bonus, this works with albums before they're released!

11. jockmock macrumors regular

The thing is...when I compare that Icky Thump cover from that site, I can't for the world of me see any difference to that one and the one automatically downloaded. Both are crystal clear. I have alot of covers that are crystal clear. Maybe you don't have to buy the songs through iTunes to get the good covers here in Sweden.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I can't see a difference between those downloaded using this and what I already have from iTunes. They look identical even the high quality ones. It looks to me like you get the highest quality they have when downloading album artwork from iTunes.

13. JoshPowell thread starter macrumors newbie

I've found a way to get album artwork for those albums that were giving 404s before!

Someone emailed me with a tip saying that if he changed the file extension from .jpg to .tif on the URLs he got, they'd work.

So yeah, it looks like all of the iTunes catalog is available now.

Though so far all of the .tif's are the standard 600x600px.

14. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

This is cool! I downloaded the artwork to my desktop, but now how do i get into itunes??? :confused:

15. JoshPowell thread starter macrumors newbie

Right click, get info.. drag the file into the artwork box :)

16. Meatball macrumors regular

Josh you rock, who would have thought iTunes had some 1425x1425 artwork! It's a shame not all artwork is at this resolution. Do you think Apple are gradually updating the artwork database to 1425x1425 or they only received 1425x1425 artwork off a select few record companies?

The .Tif work around is really interesting, as all the .tif artwork I've downloaded at 600x600 is superb quality! Do you think Apple has all album artwork available in .TIF format but supply .JPEG in tracks? I would prefer having all my artwork at highly quality .Tif 600X600 than varied highly compressed .JPEG (bar a few) But thanks again, GREAT script!!

17. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

This is really cool. Looks like it works for TV Shows as well. That makes me VERY happy!

18. Meatball macrumors regular

It works for DVD covers to! Just grabbed the cover for The Little Mermaid at 1600x2400 :-O! This is perfect for my media center :D. Please don't shut down the script Apple :(.

19. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

Thanks very much finally I can get albums covers for the music I have! When I saw this on Tuaw, I was loving the idea and it works. The 1st doesn't pull up anything when you get the correct info but the 2nd one works sooo much better!

20. Meatball macrumors regular

APPLE YOU SUCK! Why do they keep closing all these? High-res artwork for CDs and DVDs was perfect for my media center :(. I REALLY hope you get it working again Josh :(.

21. richkent72 macrumors regular

A quick question:

I like the idea of using high resolution artwork for displaying in iTunes but don't want to fill my iPod (other than with music :D). Does the artwork get scaled down when it's transferred to the iPod or remain the same and just get scaled down for the screen?

22. rodiak macrumors member

Sadly Apple blocked this! I was really getting used to it. The artwork quality on iTMS is stunning! Let's hope someone finds a workaround fast. THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME HATE U A LITTLE BIT APPLE! :mad:

23. Meatball macrumors regular

Any updates on the status of this script? Had any luck getting it back online?

24. robPOD macrumors 6502

25. billabong macrumors 6502

any update of a fix for this? I liked to use it for movie artwork...